Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 17 Cowboys (A) v Roosters - Teams & Discussion

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Enjoyed seeing McGuire taking it to JWH. It's contests like that where you can live with his grubbiness, when he is niggling other massive grubs.

Moose got the best of him AND got him suspended.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Enjoyed seeing McGuire taking it to JWH. It's contests like that where you can live with his grubbiness, when he is niggling other massive grubs.

Yeah, I loved seeing that. JWH is such a grub and quite frankly, for a bloke his size, he's kind of a b**ch too.

Haz

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Robinson wouldn't like seeing nat butcher cowering like that instead of trying to stop a field goal.

Spiral

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Robinson wouldn't like seeing nat butcher cowering like that instead of trying to stop a field goal.
That's a great spot. What the hell was he doing? Yeah it's 80 minutes in but surely you can find the energy from somewhere to charge the f*** out of the kicker instead of just clearing the pathway.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
While the boys were cheering, is Drinky's screamin "one set" signally with his hand? With time still on the clock, Roosters still had a chance to get the ball back. Shows great maturity for a 3 game player
Yeah, the commentators weren't too impressed with the "penalty goal attempt" decision.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, the commentators weren't too impressed with the "penalty goal attempt" decision.
Mate, what were they thinkin? Our F/A is poor, but surely closing out that game 100% is our priority. If the kick hit the crossbar, it gave the Chooks a chance to run the length of field and score, true Cowboys style??

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Mate, what were they thinkin? Our F/A is poor, but surely closing out that game 100% is our priority. If the kick hit the crossbar, it gave the Chooks a chance to run the length of field and score, true Cowboys style??
He kicked it over the uprights, let alone the crossbar

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Didn’t get to go to the game as I was in Canberra freezing my ass off at the Go Kart track all day (annoyingly, the first game I could actually go to that isn’t a Thursday night or Friday 6pm game, we have our first ever Sunday race.)

Saw everyone’s favourite journalist post a well done cowboys tweet, and went and checked the score. At that point my app was showing 13-12. Boy was I pumped. It’s these close field goal games that can really kick start a season. 2015 it was round 3 or 4, 2019 is unfortunately round 17 hahaha. But everyone else is shit too, so a good run from here and anything is possible.
Neil Evans?

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Genius move if we scrape into the top 8 by 1 or 2 points on the old For and Against hahaha.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

JWH beat his dangerous contact charge at the judiciary would you believe. Looked pretty clear cut with what he did. I guess because it was on McGuire whose a massive grub himself might have had something to do with it.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
JWH beat his dangerous contact charge at the judiciary would you believe. Looked pretty clear cut with what he did. I guess because it was on McGuire whose a massive grub himself might have had something to do with it.
Meh, his b-grade acting when put on report at the time gave him away. Don't think too many would be fussed

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe if he headbutted young Cliffo it'd be a bit different but I'm not too fussed about him beating the charge either tbh. I don't mind the Roosters - I really admired how they were playing at the back end of last season. I'd rather them go back to back than seeing the Storm get another title.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a little known grub scale which minuses a loading instead of adding to it.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a little known grub scale which minuses a loading instead of adding to it.

Every team has an allocated grub who has free reign of acts of grubbiness against the opposition's allocated grub, thus why McGuire only received a fine for eye gouging Dylan Walker. Moose made an error in Origin 2 mistaking NSW's allocated grub for Maloney with his high late hit, when it was actually Tariq (resulted in suspension). Easy to do at rep level when there are multiple grubs at club land in the opposition team I suppose.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe if he headbutted young Cliffo it'd be a bit different but I'm not too fussed about him beating the charge either tbh. I don't mind the Roosters - I really admired how they were playing at the back end of last season. I'd rather them go back to back than seeing the Storm get another title.
Try living in Sydney and having to have conversations with their fans! They genuinely believe other clubs poach their talent...it's truly bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Read this article earlier today - it's a nothing opinion column but reminded me of this conversation. Moose has definitely earned my respect this season. Yes he's a grub but he doesn't go into hiding when the bill comes due.

Nothing worse than a grub who takes cheap shots and hides behind the ref's back when someone tries to put one back on him. Michael Ennis was one of the worst offenders

Love or hate Josh McGuire, the Queensland firebrand’s willingness to stand his ground should be respected

Paul Crawley, NRL, The Daily Telegraph
July 18, 2019 11:04am
Subscriber only

He might be a lunatic and sometimes a grub on the footy field.

But one thing you can’t question Josh McGuire on is his willingness to stand his ground regardless of who he has upset.

And the more NSW fans seem to hate him, the more the North Queensland Cowboys firebrand laps it up.

But while McGuire will never have his own fan club in NSW, it is easy to see why there is a growing yet grudging respect for him in the game.

Because for all his questionable tactics bordering on cheap shots, the one thing he never does is run and hide from anyone.

McGuire has earned plenty of enemies.

McGuire has earned plenty of enemies.

Whether it be David Klemmer or Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, the mad “Moose” never takes a backward step.

Although not too many people were booing Waerea-Hargreaves in Gosford last Sunday after he went after McGuire with what looked remarkably like a good old fashioned headbutt attempt, in a second-effort after Waerea-Hargreaves had already steamrolled McGuire to the turf.

Of course, the Sydney Roosters enforcer was hit with a dangerous contact charge for his effort but it probably came as no great surprise that Waerea-Hargreaves was also exonerated at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

Waerea-Hargreaves’s defence was that his arms were pinned and that it was an act of self-preservation.

McGuire was one of Queensland’s best in Origin III. Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images.

McGuire was one of Queensland’s best in Origin III. Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images.

I couldn’t help but laugh, while also wondering if Waerea-Hargreaves would have got off if it was anyone but McGuire on the receiving end?

Waerea-Hargreaves copped a two-match ban recently for a not dissimilar incident that left Kalyn Ponga concussed, though this connection was labelled more of a “tap”.

You can understand how people might think there are rules for some players and rules for others when it comes to fronting the judiciary, although McGuire himself could hardly complain after some of his lucky escapes this year.