Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 15 Cowboys (A) v Dragons - Teams & Discussion

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Shane Wright did tonight what he's been doing all year for the Cutters. 80 minutes and huge work rate. 133m and 45 tackles without a miss. His improvement this year has been outstanding. Should be wearing the #12 jersey for the rest of 2019.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hess can find his way back through Qcup as far as I’m concerned. He had the world at his feet and has shit the bed. Last year and this year has been more painful than root canal surgery watching him play.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
' NOTFAROFF ' then I watched part of the Storm game and thought 'SO FAR AWAY '

But their are some positives, and to me, the improvement in some of the younger guys has been outstanding and the deteriation in some of our old players is cringe worthy.

Green is in a spot, he has to go back to the drawing board, and prepare for next season. Sometimes in life, you have to take your beatings, swallow your pride, and then recalculate where you are and then move forward to greater things.

I believe the Cowboys are really at this level at the moment. What this team needs is more enthusiasm and that will only come from an infusion of youth. However, that often means, that individual performances are going to be up and down, that is where a development coach comes into his own. The pressure on Coaches to get a team to perform immediately do not allow this to really happen. Expectations expect more.

Green is going to have to put the boot away and adopt a more fatherly, hand on shoulder approach for the rest of the season. And for this to happen, the Club Management are going to have to buy into this program as well.

Or we are Fooked.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Only just watched the game. Apologies if repeating the thoughts of many.

Mclean looked alot better.

Drinkwater - could see the massive potential with his skill set (as predicted by many). Communication errors will go after a few more training sessions. Didn't look out of place 1st grade at all.

Super unlucky to lose Morgan - didn't really have the confidence to play well without him until the last 10 mins.

Really pissed off they had Kahu kicking for goals in the first half and we didn't go for the two. Momentum always changes. Everyone takes the easy two these days. Not us.

Also really pissed off we lost. Real happy after first half despite goal attempts. Real frustrated after second half.

Need to find a way to get Clifford into the action earlier.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
For mine he looked far more comfortable and competent when he was defending in the centres.
I think he seems more comfortable because he has support on the inside and out. He was still missing tackles in that position. Not sure if he is physical enough for NRL. Seems too small for a centre, too slow for a winger.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with what you said but am worried about this:

Green is in a spot, he has to go back to the drawing board, and prepare for next season. Sometimes in life, you have to take your beatings, swallow your pride, and then recalculate where you are and then move forward to greater things.
Same thing happened last year, he trialed some new players and things looked promising. Then he turned around and went back to the old guard. Hopefully he won't be able to do that again due to retirements and contracts not being re-newed.

River

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Shane Wright did tonight what he's been doing all year for the Cutters. 80 minutes and huge work rate. 133m and 45 tackles without a miss. His improvement this year has been outstanding. Should be wearing the #12 jersey for the rest of 2019.
Shane Wright needs to be sent back to QCup immediately.
The utter disrespect he served up last night was simply not the Cowboy way.
You simply can't take advantage of an injury to one of our established players and come into the team and put up numbers that neither of our QLD Origin great backrowers have produced all season.
Not acceptable.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Just watched the Green press conference. He was pretty bitter and sad re: Morgan head knock and the forward pass. Said it wasn't forward. He didn't come off well. Talked about the impact of losing primary play-maker through dodgy hit.

I wonder who put us in that position? How is he Greenie's primary play-maker anyhow if a couple of weeks ago he had him at fullback? Gee whiz!

I also watched another couple of coaches (winners and losers) talk about their teams. What I've noticed over the weeks is Green comes off alot more negative or neutral (win or lose). His praise is usually backhanded and not very explicit. Uses words such as handy, where others generally use words like marvelous. He could have easily have picked out a couple of players for a wrap and still criticized the overall performance. What do they call it? A constructive criticism sandwich.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Just watched the Green press conference. He was pretty bitter and sad re: Morgan head knock and the forward pass. Said it wasn't forward. He didn't come off well. Talked about the impact of losing primary play-maker through dodgy hit.

I wonder who put us in that position? How is he Greenie's primary play-maker anyhow if a couple of weeks ago he had him at fullback? Gee whiz!

I also watched another couple of coaches (winners and losers) talk about their teams. What I've noticed over the weeks is Green comes off alot more negative or neutral (win or lose). His praise is usually backhanded and not very explicit. Uses words such as handy, where others generally use words like marvelous. He could have easily have picked out a couple of players for a wrap and still criticized the overall performance. What do they call it? A constructive criticism sandwich.
I did notice he came across pretty whiny and has done for a little while now. We have had a pretty rough run of luck with injuries etc over the past 3 seasons, would probably make any coach frustrated.

That said he has to work with what he's got, we could have easily won that game last night.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I don't think he deserves to miss an Origin for that. Pretty hard to not hit someone around the head when you are the taller man He still wrapped his arms and it wasn't that late if you watch it in normal speed. Might have been the whiplash effect that got him. There's been a lot worse this year.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Only just watched the game. Apologies if repeating the thoughts of many.

Mclean looked alot better.

Drinkwater - could see the massive potential with his skill set (as predicted by many). Communication errors will go after a few more training sessions. Didn't look out of place 1st grade at all.

Super unlucky to lose Morgan - didn't really have the confidence to play well without him until the last 10 mins.

Really pissed off they had Kahu kicking for goals in the first half and we didn't go for the two. Momentum always changes. Everyone takes the easy two these days. Not us.

Also really pissed off we lost. Real happy after first half despite goal attempts. Real frustrated after second half.

Need to find a way to get Clifford into the action earlier.
McLean?????

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Re:Morgo's tackle.

The footage I've seen(what was shown on Fox) is not great and hard to see the point of contact.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
I didn’t think the tackle on Morgan was that bad to be honest.

Green mentioned that this was a topic of conversation at the meeting he attended during the rep round (protecting play makers after they’ve passed/kicked). Might not bode well for Tariq if the NRL want to emphasise their stance on this via this decision at the judiciary if Tariq challenges.

If the decision to rub him out for 2 weeks is upheld, then we are one step closer to wearing velcro shorts and putting tags on our hips IMO.

TowtruckTronc

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think the forward pass Greeny was talking about was the Kahu to Tuala at the end. God Kahu had a shocker in the centres i think he better than that, willing to run with him there until O'Neill comes back.

The tackle on Morgan was marginally late, definitely been worse this year. But it was also pretty damn close to being a high shot as well so taking those two factors into consideration i can't see how we didn't at least get a pen out of that! Not blaming the refs for the result, I just think the drags getting the scrum feed there was a complete joke.

Some Highlights
- McLean running hard
- Finally getting some speed and x factor in The Thirsty Man (can't wait to see him burst on to a Lolo run or offload up the guts)
- Wrighty is an animal, hope he somehow keeps getting 80
- Opacic is a 1st grader
- Leave that 7 on Big Dogs back he looked a different player

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t think the tackle on Morgan was that bad to be honest.

Green mentioned that this was a topic of conversation at the meeting he attended during the rep round (protecting play makers after they’ve passed/kicked). Might not bode well for Tariq if the NRL want to emphasise their stance on this via this decision at the judiciary if Tariq challenges.

If the decision to rub him out for 2 weeks is upheld, then we are one step closer to wearing velcro shorts and putting tags on our hips IMO.
Grip tag is fun. You can hurt your fingers though if they get caught in the belt.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The club obviously has a high opinion of Wright. He’s on his second contract with us. He may not have played many games for us but it’s clear the club have a big opinion of him.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
McLean?????
128 metres in 51 minutes. 13 runs. Only beaten in the forwards by JT (whoever that is) and All-star Shane Wright. I dunno, it seems better than what he has served up for us in the past.

You could say, he wasn't as.....mc LEAN in the stats as he has been in the past..