Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 1 Cowboys (H) v Dragons - Teams & Discussion

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
f***, how good that after all these years of hearing about how rough life will be after JT retires, we still get two guys in Taumalolo and Morgan to lead us around. Cop that.

Good to get some of the cobwebs out before next week - hope McGuire has a massive game there, should be plenty of niggle.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
f***, how good that after all these years of hearing about how rough life will be after JT retires, we still get two guys in Taumalolo and Morgan to lead us around. Cop that.

Good to get some of the cobwebs out before next week - hope McGuire has a massive game there, should be plenty of niggle.

Hopefully McGuire will be there. Shoulder charge wasn't it?

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Press conference here:

A few points for those who can't watch:
- Coops was struggling with a calf injury during preseason and is underdone, that's why he started from the bench
- Feldt is out long term, Green said no definite return date for him yet but definitely not back for Friday

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
From what I remember of the other games, that was our best round one performance under Green by a long way.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Jake's service is still the aspect of play letting us down the most, not TMM's perceived inability to play football. Comments like that are just ridiculous. It wasn't his best game but he certainly wasn't stinking the place up. People are quick to say that he's a waste of a starting spot when he's not being an offensive superstar but remain silent and don't praise the one percenters that help a team to win games. On his day he can win a game with his ability and instinct around the ball, other days when his number isn't being called he will do all the little things that help carry a team to victory. Contrary to belief, effort and application do go a long way.

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
Martin needs to go. His overall incompetence seriously affected my ability to enjoy that match.
I agree it didn't go well, but it was definitely exacerbated by the woeful service from Granville. I don't think he received the ball at full pelt, when and where he needed it, all night.

Canberra Cow

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Whooooooooooo baby, I could only listen to the game but it sounded real good, hopefully this is just the start and puts an end to our horrid starts we seem to have every year

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
My impressions of the game:
  • Maturity and leadership were evident in the forwards. This had a flow on effect to the backs and Granville.
  • I saw examples of Asiata passing at the line (like JT used to do). In previous years Asiata tended to pass well before the line which gives defenders time to adjust.
  • There were quite a few offloads when compared to recent seasons.
  • Opacic appears to have good defensive traits.
  • Thankfully I didn’t have to watch Cowboy Kyle doing his usual defensive stuff. Although MacDonald seemed to make the same mistake at the 78th minute on a play which should have been easily defended. I don’t buy the ‘ref got in my way’ stuff. The ref was standing in the spot the ref normally stands. The defender has to deal with it.
  • The size of MacDonald is a bit of a concern. I would be surprised if a guy of this size can have the speed he once had.
  • A bit scrappy before the rain arrived.
  • Watching the game with the volume turned down is the way to go.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree it didn't go well, but it was definitely exacerbated by the woeful service from Granville. I don't think he received the ball at full pelt, when and where he needed it, all night.
This is my view too, he got the ball at unexpected times a lot especially early. Granville got better as the game went on but still big question marks around his future in the team IMO.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I didn’t have to watch Cowboy Kyle doing his usual defensive stuff. Although MacDonald seemed to make the same mistake at the 78th minute on a play which should have been easily defended. I don’t buy the ‘ref got in my way’ stuff. The ref was standing in the spot the ref normally stands. The defender has to deal with it.
You spout this stuff a lot, but what would you have had him do? The referee didn’t get in Nenes way, it was TMM who got interfered with. Wether TMM would’ve made the tackle on their guy before it was passed to the wing is anybodies guess, but It left Nene with a 2 on 1 situation. Not easy to stop a simple draw and pass situation.