Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2019 Round 1 Cowboys (H) v Dragons - Teams & Discussion

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
NRL team list: Round 1 v Dragons
Cowboys.com.au
Tue 12 Mar 2019, 04:00 PM

Jordan Kahu, Tom Opacic, Nene Macdonald and Josh McGuire will make their North Queensland Toyota Cowboys debuts in Saturday’s season-opening showdown with the St George Illawarra Dragons at 1300SMILES Stadium.

Kahu, Opacic and Macdonald are all part of an exciting new-look back five named by head coach Paul Green, while McGuire has been named on the interchange.

Javid Bowen has been rewarded for an excellent pre-season with a spot on the wing, taking the spot of Kyle Feldt who picked up a groin injury at training late last week.

Te Maire Martin has won the battle to partner new skipper Michael Morgan in the halves, with young gun Jake Clifford named in the reserves.

Matt Scott and Jordan McLean retain the front-row spots they manned during both pre-season trials, while Jason Taumalolo moves back to his favoured No.13 jersey after starting in the second-row in the final trial against Melbourne.

Gavin Cooper returns to the starting side to partner Coen Hess in the second-row, while Jake Granville will start at hooker.

Joining McGuire on the bench are fellow middle forwards John Asiata and Francis Molo as well as utility Mitch Dunn.

Clifford and outside backs Ben Hampton, Gideon Gela-Mosby and Enari Tuala make up the reserves.

The Cowboys have dedicated their Round 1 clash to raising funds for flood victims in Townsville and north-west Queensland. Australian singer-songwriter and multi-instrumental performing artist Dami Im will headline ‘Together for North Queensland’, with the NRL also announcing they will donate $100 for every point scored across the eight Round 1 matches.

Saturday’s game kicks off at 6.35pm (AEST).

Cowboys team to play Dragons:
1. Jordan Kahu
2. Javid Bowen
3. Justin O’Neill
4. Tom Opacic
5. Nene Macdonald
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Michael Morgan (C)
8. Matt Scott
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Coen Hess
13. Jason Taumalolo
Interchange
14. John Asiata
15. Josh McGuire
16. Mitch Dunn
17. Francis Molo
Reserves
18. Ben Hampton
19. Jake Clifford
20. Gideon Gela-Mosby
23. Enari Tuala

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not a great start for Feldty but Javid played well in the trials. Hopefully he's in for a big year.

Opacic and Dunn are exciting inclusions. Pack looks very strong but I was expecting to see Jensen.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As expected, apart from the Feldt omission which I was hoping was an incorrect rumour.

Oh, McGuire on the bench too. He'll be fired up when he comes on.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Strong team; impressive bench too. Looking forward to seeing Opacic in action.

Stupid Ben Barba....seriously

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Opacic impressed me in the trials. He's got a big chance getting a Round 1 start, hopefully he impresses. Also, Dunn about to f*** around and become our starting hooker.

Jensen has to be still injured to not even be named in the reserves.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Suprised that McGuire is on the bench and not Scott, though I still think that’ll be swapped around prior to kick off. Apart from Nene I get really nervous looking at our backline. Is Granville playing 80? Is Dunn effectively now our back up hooker? He looked okay in that role during the trials, though it does beg the question why the hell did we sign Baptise (unless he’s injured?).

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Baptiste was/is injured. Did his hamstring sometime before the Titans trial.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Apart from Nene I get really nervous looking at our backline.
Good news is the Dragons also have a untested backline, this one will be won in the middle IMO.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Good news is the Dragons also have a untested backline, this one will be won in the middle IMO.
Yeah as nervous as it makes me it’s still much better than what the dragons have. Hopefully Feldt is back for our clash against the donkeys, that’ll be a real test for our backline.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Opa isn't a flashy player but if he can play with confidence and be physical it'll go a long way towards keeping his spot.

He pulled off some big plays in the trials to stamp his mark on the game, if he can do that every game he'll be an asset.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping Mosby would get a go on the wing with Feldt out.
Bowen played one of the best games in his career in the trial when he came in late for Nene, looks more promising this year.

GGM was mediocre for the Pride on the weekend I thought, didn't really put his hand up for a spot. Nene being there really highlighted the gulf between NRL players and QLD Cup players.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
All those 4 reserves are Pride allocated. Looks like they may be good things again this weekend.
My 41 to 1 Pride bet is now down to 15 to 1.

Expect them to be lower after the weekend. For them all these early wins are vital to make the Finals.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Bowen earned a spot based on the trials, he played really well. I hope he plays as well as he did in those games because he's never seemed to kick on in first grade despite doing well in Cup. Obviously he'll be replaced as soon Feldt returns but he has to step up because I think he can still be a very good player.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Stupid Ben Barba....seriously

I'm still depressed about that. Would've really completed the look of our team with him in the side. Ah well, moving on.

The team looks decent. Probably not the team I would've selected but decent none the less. I don't think Greeny has complete control over the team these days anyway, but he's clearly a TMM fan.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm distraught.

But Dunny Bill on the bench makes me really really happy. Hopefully he continues on from his marvelous things during trials and puts genuine pressure on Granvile, and either has Jake back to his best, or really highlights the deficiencies and gets Hampton or Baptiste a crack at the 2nd hooker rotation spot.

Moose on the bench doesn't make much sense, but last minute bench/starter swaps is entirely within Greenys M.O.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think Dunn and Asiata are gonna shine in the middle period of the game, in that last trial they opened our attack up a lot. You won't get two more skilful forwards, both could play halfback.

If Dunn plays hooker, it should help his transition to the forward pack a lot too, he'll have to play it tough in D.

Danny

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I hope dunn goes well. I don't think it's a coincidence that Granville played his best footy when playing 50 odd minutes roughly when we had a utility who could genuinely play dummy half like kosty did, as maligned as he was around here. Hoping Dunn locks that down or baptiste should he get an opportunity later on during the year to really nail that spot down.

With a formidable forward pack again, jake has no excuses on a good year. Really think it's an important year for him.