Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If we are looking at Drinkwater he would be a decent replacement for TMM (assuming Martin is out of action long term)

He can play 1 6 or 7

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Rising star Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow ready to pull on maroon for Qld
MAY 29, 2019

HIS speed is like watching lightning crack across the field, and now a Cowboys young gun is hoping to scorch a few New South Welshmen next week.

Cowboys junior Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow will realise a childhood dream when he runs out on to Suncorp Stadium for the first time.

The 17-year-old, who has been part of the Cowboys’ junior ranks for the past two years, will represent his state when he wears the No.1 for the Queensland under-18s.

Growing up in Cairns, Tabuai-Fidow made the move to Townsville at the start of the year to be closer to the Cowboys set-up.

He took up a spot at the back for the Blackhawks under-18s, under the tutelage of one of the greatest fullbacks to ever play in the NRL, Matty Bowen. It was a dream opportunity for the young speedster and one that has seen his game go to the next level this season.

“I reckon coming down to Blackhawks, they are more professional about what they do and how they train. It has been good,” Tabuai-Fidow said.

“(Bowen) was good help, I asked a lot of questions and he was a great coach. I looked up to him as a kid. With me playing fullback watching him out the back it was pretty amazing to play under him.”

While the Blackhawks might have struggled to get the results during the Mal Meninga Cup, it did not stop Tabuai-Fidow from setting the competition alight. He ran rings around the competition on his way to 13 tries in six games.

The teenager was immediately called up to the Blackhawks under-20s squad following the completion of the Cup season and has continued his try-scoring phenomena as he scored five in three games.

“It has been a good challenge for me playing against older blokes and bigger bodies. I am enjoying it. It is tougher and faster because they are bigger,” he said.

“Mal was pretty tough but under-20s is another step above that. I have to get myself up to speed with it because I have only played the three games so far.”

His ability to sniff out the tryline has not gone unnoticed by the Cowboys, with the club poised to bring him in as part of their extended 36-man roster next season.

Tabuai-Fidow will likely join the Cowboys as a development player as they aim to help his improvement on and off the field.

Cowboys recruitment manager Clint Zammit, who spotted the flying fullback playing schoolboy rugby in Brisbane two years ago, has been impressed with his development.

“Once he starts training a bit more with our group next year he will get stronger and more physical, and with that comes more confidence on the field,” Zammit said.

“He is progressing really well, he is a very good mover with the footy. He has lovely balance and he has killer speed. He is one of the fastest players I have ever seen.

“He can do things on the field that no one else can do.”

Zammit said Tabuai-Fidow was the “perfect fit” for the club as he was a North Queensland junior playing all of his football for the Kangaroos in Cairns.

He is also very family-oriented, with leaving his parents behind this year one of the hardest things he has ever had to do.

“It was pretty hard leaving my family behind, but they told me I would be all right and I would get through it,” Tabuai-Fidow said.

“They have been behind me all the way. I ring them every night, just to see how they are going and how I am going. It is good to hear their voices.”

No doubt they will be right behind him as he soaks up the atmosphere of a raucous Suncorp Stadium in the curtain-raiser for the NRL State of Origin series opener.

“It should be a good feeling running out there, I have been there to watch a game but I have never played on the stadium before,” he said.

“I have dreamt about playing on Suncorp, so I am very keen for next week.”

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Physically he looks like he could play NRL already. Ponga still looks like a weakling after a couple of seasons of first grade.

Been a while since we've had a teenage prodigy, let's not mess this one up.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
“Once he starts training a bit more with our group next year he will get stronger and more physical, and with that comes more confidence on the field,” Zammit said.
This worries me, he'll also likely get bigger/heavier & potentially lose that agility which makes him successful now. Thats the thing with having a whippet, they dont like to get tackled so they have to learn to avoid defenders & run like the wind.
Look at GGM he's bulked up a bit & he didnt look as fast & evasive as last year on the weekend just past, hopefully he can get his motor running this weekend

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think Hamiso is playing ing hurt at the moment, but still good enough to be picked for both QLD schoolboys and U/18. The kid is a freak.

As for the Drinkwater debate, yes please. He’d offer a lot more than DWZ. And while we’re st it can we sign Harry Grant as well.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
This worries me, he'll also likely get bigger/heavier & potentially lose that agility which makes him successful now. Thats the thing with having a whippet, they dont like to get tackled so they have to learn to avoid defenders & run like the wind.
Look at GGM he's bulked up a bit & he didnt look as fast & evasive as last year on the weekend just past, hopefully he can get his motor running this weekend

My favourite version of GI was when he first came into the grade - was so fast and agile. In hindsight it's possible that all the muscle he gained most likely shortened his career. The extra weight would not have been good for his knees especially.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
If we are looking at Drinkwater he would be a decent replacement for TMM (assuming Martin is out of action long term)

He can play 1 6 or 7
He also doesn't come with potential drama.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't happen. Different build, but Tedesco is built like a tank at 95-96 kg and he can move like a ballerina.

Edited this post as I found an old photo of Teddy when he broke his leg at the beginning of his NRL career in 2012.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/time-for-tears-is-over-as-tedesco-focuses-on-long-road-to-recovery-20120404-1wdb0.html

Much smaller if the photo is anything to go by. I guess the question is how they put on size, is it functional or just bulk?

Good question to ask Coen Hess's trainer.

Last edited:

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Would rather drinkwater then dallin. Will come cheaper covers the positions we need depth a good young player. Plus I don't think the club has given up on Holmes for nxt year.

Daz1995

Junior
Reaction score
The whole Holmes situation is strange, who marries their partner, who lives in Aus just to be separated, living in different countries? I think he will be back playing in cowboys colours, everything for him is here in Townsville, plus don’t we have a fair chunk of money left in the cap? And one top 30 spot left.. seems strange to be holding off for so long

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
The whole Holmes situation is strange, who marries their partner, who lives in Aus just to be separated, living in different countries? I think he will be back playing in cowboys colours, everything for him is here in Townsville, plus don’t we have a fair chunk of money left in the cap? And one top 30 spot left.. seems strange to be holding off for so long
What do you think? They may have had a gentleman's agreement that if he isn't sorted by mid-June he'll take the final spot? Him and Drinkwater would be good.

Daz1995

Junior
Reaction score
What do you think? They may have had a gentleman's agreement that if he isn't sorted by mid-June he'll take the final spot? Him and Drinkwater would be good.
Well I’m thinking, if he returns it must be Cronulla, so why not take a trip to USA funded and paid via Nike (surely) for a year, get fit and faster in one of the most intense sports in the world, use the pathway program as an excuse, then return to the greatest game to the team he wants to join, see everything is here for him, Cronulla now have no cash, and I’m not 100% but no spots, so surely he comes to us? I’m probably wrong but something is going on that no one but head office know about. And Drinkwater is an incredable talent, if we get him cheap and no Holmes, then I’d still be happy.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to why you would think he'd leave his new bride in Australia? Aren't nfl players allowed to have sex?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
She probably has a life here. A job of some description, family, etc.
What he couldn't afford for her to quit?
Because she’s still in Australia right now and he’s in NY.
I might have an old fashioned view of marriage & it may have been a few years ago now, but I do remember wanting to tap the bride on a regular basis.
Maybe they have an 'open' marriage

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think we'll see him this year. It is smart management leaving a spot open. Every year a quality player becomes available and you never know what long term injuries are going to happen in the first half of the year. Smart play by the Cowboys.

We are in a rebuilding period and the club is going about it in a way that will will keep us competitive in the short term and successful in the long term. Hopefully!

Val a Cowboy in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.