Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Well I assume everyone will be watching the Q Cup this afternoon to see might might have been, with SOS' Devils taking on Wynumm.
Might be like self-harm watching it. Sounds like he'll be looking around for next season now. I'll probably watch the game as the Intrust games are good background noise while I am doing work.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we actually signed him.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Clint Zammit too. Do you know if his role is mainly focused on juniors though?

The feeling I get from quotes on articles, Parr is in charge and Zammit is focused on recruiting upcoming young players but helps to sign some senior players too if he can help, using the relationships he has built over the years. Obviously the coach of the day would have a strong voice when decisions are being made, but I think less of a role in the nitty gritty of the recruitment and retention process than some would think. Again, pure speculation on my part based on news articles.
Is Parr still involved with the NSW Blues, if so, he will be missing for the next few weeks.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Now that Clifford is seemingly not in our future plans given our attempt to sign O’Sullivan, I really hope we are one of the clubs going after Jackson Hastings.

Put on a second half clinic at magic round at tonight. His side were comfortably being outplayed and were trailing 20-6 early in the second half, until a Hastings inspired comeback which included 3 try assists and had them level at 20-20 with 10 to go. Ended up losing 22-20, but he looks a class above over there and will be a handy addition to any club in the NRL that picks him up.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Now that Clifford is seemingly not in our future plans given our attempt to sign O’Sullivan, I really hope we are one of the clubs going after Jackson Hastings.

Put on a second half clinic at magic round at tonight. His side were comfortably being outplayed and were trailing 20-6 early in the second half, until a Hastings inspired comeback which included 3 try assists and had them level at 20-20 with 10 to go. Ended up losing 22-20, but he looks a class above over there and will be a handy addition to any club in the NRL that picks him up.
I think you are the biggest Jackson Hastings fan on the planet.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more likely that they are looking at cover for TMM, and nothing to do with Clifford.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more likely that they are looking at cover for TMM, and nothing to do with Clifford.
From what I’ve read it appears we wanted to sign O’Sullivan and play him immediately.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
From what I’ve read it appears we wanted to sign O’Sullivan and play him immediately.
A little bit petty, but I hope we get a chance to repay the favour of not releasing SOS. Unlikely though as Broncs seem to have a bottomless bucket of talent.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think what was intimated was to repay their not releasing S.O.S. to us and the pettiness was in the fact of us doing the same to them. Unfortunately, as was said, they have more apparent depth in the young guys though, so we are unlikely to repay with more pettiness.

However, in this Game and Business never give " A sucker and even break " And "Kick them when they are down " plus ' All's fair in Love and War " seems to be about the right attitude especially regarding Football and Sporting teams.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Considering they’ve already given us 3 players this season who were under contract with them, I’m not sure they’ve blocked the O’Sullivan move purely to be petty.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
O'Sullivan is their back up halfback. If they released him they'd have to go with someone who has even less experience than he does, and he doesn't have that much anyway. I don't think they think much of Troy Dargan and Cory Paix and Tanah Boyd are dev players. Boyd's been dropped back to Colts as well.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Considering they’ve already given us 3 players this season who were under contract with them, I’m not sure they’ve blocked the O’Sullivan move purely to be petty.
I agree with this 100%.

I read CS post as saying I hope we get to repay the favour by not giving them somebody mid-season, and wasn't accusing the Broncos of being petty whatsoever.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is Parr still involved with the NSW Blues, if so, he will be missing for the next few weeks.
Yeah I saw him in the background of a fox interview. Whats his role again?

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/30/the-sam-burgess-broken-promise-that-cost-souths-the-signature-of-payne-haas/

About two thirds of the way down.

Pretty no plussed about DWZ. But if we really wanted him I reckon we could have him. Eels offering him a centre position and we may be looking for fullback which is what he apparently wants.. I'm not sure he is that much of an upgrade over Kahu.
He is a shit load faster and shows a lot more urgency when tidying up loose balls.