Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
You've made a dozen posts about how bad O'Sullivan is, but you do want us to sign him?
All I’ve said is that he’s not better than Clifford, and shouldn’t immediately overtake him in the pecking order if signed by us. I’m happy to sign him as some form of depth given we are royally f****d if Morgan goes down through the origin period.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
On regards to SOS I am happy to sign him as we have no backup other then Clifford. A bit of competition might be the best thing for him.

Jenko

Junior
Reaction score
Million Dollar question
Who is accountable for recruitment retention at the Cowboys
Do we have names?.....

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Million Dollar question
Who is accountable for recruitment retention at the Cowboys
Do we have names?.....
Peter Parr and Paul Green

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Peter Parr and Paul Green
Clint Zammit too. Do you know if his role is mainly focused on juniors though?

The feeling I get from quotes on articles, Parr is in charge and Zammit is focused on recruiting upcoming young players but helps to sign some senior players too if he can help, using the relationships he has built over the years. Obviously the coach of the day would have a strong voice when decisions are being made, but I think less of a role in the nitty gritty of the recruitment and retention process than some would think. Again, pure speculation on my part based on news articles.

Last edited:

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/the-tiny-island-culture-driving-a-cowboys-speedster-in-first-game-of-2019/news-story/f2d233078996ab892c040eabab0d129a

The tiny island culture driving a Cowboys speedster in first game of 2019

ALMOST all of the 400 people living on the tiny Darnley Island will gather in front of the island’s one big screen television tomorrow night as they cheer on Cowboys speedster Gideon Gela-Mosby.

The enigmatic winger makes his return to the Cowboys top grade side for the first time this season, and it could not have come at a better time.
The Cowboys will don their indigenous jersey against the Raiders in Canberra on Saturday as the NRL celebrates its annual indigenous round.
Gela-Mosby was taken aback when he first laid eyes on the jersey, and said he could not wait to represent his island’s culture with pride.
Darnley Island, or Erub as it is known in the local language, is the furthest north you can go before reaching Papua New Guinea and has a hospital, a school, two general stores and no cars. It also has no rugby league, but that did not stop a young Gela-Mosby from always dreaming of the big leagues.

Now that he has reached the top level of the game, the 21-year-old winger keeps himself grounded by remembering his roots.

“I always think about the island, and think about going home but life gets hard down here such as training and the (you) have to keep going. But every chance I get, I try to go back home,” he said.

“I always remember my roots. I wouldn’t know how many people would be living there now, but I will be playing for all of them.

“There is a bit of resilience, keeping your culture strong and showing where you come from. I love keeping my culture strong. To perform, there is no better place than the NRL, and it is an honour and a privilege that I get to represent my little island on that stage.”
Gela-Mosby has had to show all of that Torres Strait resilience and then some after he was overlooked for a Cowboys wing spot that many thought was his at the start of the season.

The speedster had set the former under-20s competition alight when he first joined the Cowboys, and has since made eight appearances over two seasons in the top grade, scoring six tries.

After Scottish international Kane Linnett left for the Super League this season and an early injury to Kyle Feldt, Gela-Mosby was highly considered for a Cowboys wing spot come Round 1, but missed out to Javid Bowen and Nene Macdonald.

It was a missed opportunity that left the Cowboys hopeful thinking he might never make a return to the top grade.

“At first I did think like that, but coming to training every day with the boys kind of made me push myself to get to the position I am in now,” Gela-Mosby said.

“It was the off field stuff that I needed to work on and I did that. Just coming to the end of the tunnel now I can see the light and this is where I am now. I am just going to keep on moving forward and all the stuff that I did wrong, I am going to leave that behind me.”

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
FFS Gideon, take this opportunity and run with it son

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He says he has worked on the off field stuff.. now he just has to work on the on field stuff and stop getting himself suspended lol.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Really want Gideon to succeed. He will add so much to our backline with his pace if he can put in from this point.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Brisbane won’t release Sean O’Sullivan to join North Queensland
MAY 25, 2019

The Broncos have rejected the Cowboys’ request to sign Sean O’Sullivan to ensure they have a contingency plan for first-choice halves Anthony Milford and Tom Dearden.

The Sunday Mail can reveal North Queensland attempted to secure O’Sullivan with recruitment chiefs making inquiries with the Broncos during the week to help bolster their halves.

The Cowboys have been using John Asiata at five-eighth following the axing of Jake Clifford and the shock setback to Te Maire Martin, who is out indefinitely after suffering an unexplained bleed to his brain.

It is understood North Queensland were prepared to use O’Sullivan, who played one NRL game for the Roosters last season, immediately, but the Broncos could not afford a further erosion of their playmaking stocks.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold signed off on a “compassionate release” for Kodi Nikorima three weeks ago, leaving O’Sullivan as his Plan B understudy to the new Milford-Dearden scrumbase alliance.

The reality is O’Sullivan faces an uphill battle to break into the Broncos’ top squad. An off-season recruit from the Roosters, O’Sullivan was hoping to get his big break when halfback Nikorima joined the Warriors, only to lose out to 18-year-old Dearden.

The rookie’s rise presents a major impediment at Red Hill for O’Sullivan, who turns 21 in August and will continue to play second fiddle if Dearden holds his fitness and form.

Broncos coach Seibold is a massive fan of the supremely gifted Dearden, believing the Mackay product can be the 10-year halfback that eventually steers Brisbane to a premiership.

O’Sullivan is off-contract at season’s end but has an option in his favour to remain at the Broncos in 2020.

The rising playmaker has been outstanding for feeder-club Norths in the Intrust Super Cup this season, winning five of seven games as halfback to steer the Devils into the top four.

O’Sullivan will confront big-name Broncos teammate James Roberts today when the Devils take on Wynnum Manly in an Intrust Super Cup showdown at Bishop Park.

https://outline.com/qYkVD8

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Brisbane won’t release Sean O’Sullivan to join North Queensland
MAY 25, 2019

The Broncos have rejected the Cowboys’ request to sign Sean O’Sullivan to ensure they have a contingency plan for first-choice halves Anthony Milford and Tom Dearden.

The Sunday Mail can reveal North Queensland attempted to secure O’Sullivan with recruitment chiefs making inquiries with the Broncos during the week to help bolster their halves.

The Cowboys have been using John Asiata at five-eighth following the axing of Jake Clifford and the shock setback to Te Maire Martin, who is out indefinitely after suffering an unexplained bleed to his brain.

It is understood North Queensland were prepared to use O’Sullivan, who played one NRL game for the Roosters last season, immediately, but the Broncos could not afford a further erosion of their playmaking stocks.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold signed off on a “compassionate release” for Kodi Nikorima three weeks ago, leaving O’Sullivan as his Plan B understudy to the new Milford-Dearden scrumbase alliance.

The reality is O’Sullivan faces an uphill battle to break into the Broncos’ top squad. An off-season recruit from the Roosters, O’Sullivan was hoping to get his big break when halfback Nikorima joined the Warriors, only to lose out to 18-year-old Dearden.

The rookie’s rise presents a major impediment at Red Hill for O’Sullivan, who turns 21 in August and will continue to play second fiddle if Dearden holds his fitness and form.

Broncos coach Seibold is a massive fan of the supremely gifted Dearden, believing the Mackay product can be the 10-year halfback that eventually steers Brisbane to a premiership.

O’Sullivan is off-contract at season’s end but has an option in his favour to remain at the Broncos in 2020.

The rising playmaker has been outstanding for feeder-club Norths in the Intrust Super Cup this season, winning five of seven games as halfback to steer the Devils into the top four.

O’Sullivan will confront big-name Broncos teammate James Roberts today when the Devils take on Wynnum Manly in an Intrust Super Cup showdown at Bishop Park.

https://outline.com/qYkVD8
Interesting that we were going to slot him straight in. Looks like Cliffo has done his dash :(

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Clifford will get a chance next weekend, it's not over for him. Let's hope he kills it vs the Titans, he will be in the driver's seat and will be required to steer the side around.

I'm still of the opinion there are some off field factors at play but first and foremost he needs to prove he belongs in the NRL on his merits as a player

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Weren't the intial reports that SO'S had requested a release? I guess with mythford supposedly testing the market, they need a backup plan

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Well I assume everyone will be watching the Q Cup this afternoon to see might might have been, with SOS' Devils taking on Wynumm.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Damn you cruel NRL universe. Also, Dearden is from Mackay? Why isn't he ours?

Feels like a double kick to the nuts.