Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Head down to Jack Manski Oval at 11:30am Saturday morning and watch the cowboys future #1 run around. Might be a year or two away, but as long as his head is in the right place, he will be a star.
Is MPW making the long awaited shift to fullback?!

Edit: nevermind :(

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Head down to Jack Manski Oval at 11:30am Saturday morning and watch the cowboys future #1 run around. Might be a year or two away, but as long as his head is in the right place, he will be a star.
The club has identified him as a 'Blue Chip' investment for the future, along the lines of Taumalolo.

Not sure if Ponga got this rating...

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The club has identified him as a 'Blue Chip' investment for the future, along the lines of Taumalolo.

Didn't he have a brain infection for a long period of his 20s stint

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Didn't he have a brain infection for a long period of his 20s stint
That was early 2015 while he was playing MM
Cup. He came back and player 20s towards the end of the season.

rexy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Melbourne now have three first grade quality fullbacks, surely they would have to let one go by next season ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Melbourne now have three first grade quality fullbacks, surely they would have to let one go by next season ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Drinkwater is really actually a half isn't he? I was just thinking tonight how do you fit them all in? Hughes and Croft the unlucky ones maybe. Good players, not necessarily electric like Paps and Drinkwater were in their (very) short stints.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Drinkwater is really actually a half isn't he? I was just thinking tonight how do you fit them all in? Hughes and Croft the unlucky ones maybe. Good players, not necessarily electric like Paps and Drinkwater were in their (very) short stints.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Pretty sure Drinkwater was originally a half coming through the juniors but Melbourne turned him into a fullback. He’s played there for last 2 years in Q Cup. Last year he was the Qld Residents fullback and fullback in the team of the year.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - for all we know he has an overbearing father or has aspirations of being a multi sport athlete.

Seriously though, if he's as talented as they say the club shouldn't muck around. We should be doing everything we can to get this guy ready for a debut sometime next year. Other clubs come knocking otherwise.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Jensen to Wigan rumours gaining traction

Unbelievable how one of our most promising forwards is being shopped around.

Scott, Bolton and Cooper are off contract this year. The scary thing is that I don't think the club will be letting them all go at once. I'm tipping they'll re-sign at least 2 of them unless they leave of their own accord.

Chemicalspill

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score

Scott, Bolton and Cooper are off contract this year. The scary thing is that I don't think the club will be letting them all go at once. I'm tipping they'll re-sign at least 2 of them unless they leave of their own accord.
Can see it now - Jensen leaves, and Thumper and Bolts both sign on for one more year...

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

You have to think he has a want to live in the UK, though. Otherwise he would be looking to for other NRL club's (maybe he has and they've all said no)

There ain't much money in the ESL these days, and even if there was he wouldn't command big money.

Chemicalspill

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
More conjecture here and hopefully for a positive outcome. He may be trying to pressure the cowboys in getting some play time. At 25, his time should have come by now.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/mackaycutters/photos/a.10151869554917295/10157055048662295/?type=3&theater

Cutters just signed ex-Warriors Utility/Hooker Sam Cook

"MACKAY CUTTERS WELCOME FORMER WARRIOR TO THE PACK |

THE QCCS Mackay Cutters are excited to announce the signing of former New Zealand Warriors player Sam Cook. Sam has played hooker making his NRL debut for the Warriors against the Souths Sydney Rabbitohs in 2018.

Head Coach Steve Sheppard said about the signing, “We are really excited to get someone of Sam’s talent and experience. Having been with the NZ Warriors NRL squad for the last three years Sam played two NRL games last season as well as 81 NSW Cup games over the last five seasons with the Warriors and Knights. He’s a quality trainer and even more important a decent young man.”

Pandos

Junior
Reaction score

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Good too see the NRL has released this. Not much new info on our players contract, apart from McLean having a player option for 2021-22.

2019 NRL signings: Official player contract details announced for all 16 clubs
Dan Walsh NRL.com
Fri 17 May 2019, 01:41 PM

Workhorses and rising youngsters across several clubs have secured their futures, or have the chance to, with player options to be taken up by June 30.

The NRL is for the first time publishing the official contract lists, including the length of each deal and whether there is a club, player or mutual option for each one.

Each club must have a top 30 squad locked in by the Sunday of round 15 when the June 30 cut off deadline falls.

As it stands Manly, Canterbury, Parramatta and Wests Tigers are the only sides who have filled all available roster spots, leaving 12 openings across the remaining clubs.

In a change to rules regarding development contracts, clubs will not require an exemption to blood players outside their top 30 once the June 30 signings deadline passes.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/2019-nrl-signings-player-transfers-and-contracts/#cowboys