Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Wouldn’t bag them out too much. Their club is heading in the right direction and have looked the goods this season. Will probably touch us up this weekend too.
To be fair they have conceded 50 points or more twice this season.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
To be fair they have conceded 50 points or more twice this season.
Nah, only once which was on the weekend. The other 50 point game you’re thinking of is when they scored 50 against the Tigers..

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t bag them out too much. Their club is heading in the right direction and have looked the goods this season. Will probably touch us up this weekend too.
I haven’t watched parramatta much, but based on some of their score lines, I don’t know if they “look the goods” exactly.

Doing better than us, might destroy us, but I don’t think that means they look the goods.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He’s just ok? Do you even watch footy?
Yeah, I watched him kill it on the weekend. 7 tackles, 9 missed. Yikes.

I wonder if there are any recent success stories out there of clubs taking a punt on a quality fullback with a bit of an injury history that could maybe influence us in having a dabble on him......
For $700K a season? There's none.

How do you work out that 700k is over paying Gutho?
Because he's finished a full season once in 5 years and has torn his ACL twice? The Eels wont even give him that and he has no other offers at the moment. Manly won't even give him 700k.

on the cusp of origin
In what position? He's not even close.

Some on here are living in fantasy land and think you can bring an above average fullback to the club for $500k LOL
Gutho must be living there as well, considering he's asking for 700k and no one wants to pay him that.

Calling him just ok is harsh, I that back. He's good, above average even. I'd happily take him but not for 700k for 4 years with a history of ACL injuries.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I haven’t watched parramatta much, but based on some of their score lines, I don’t know if they “look the goods” exactly.

Doing better than us, might destroy us, but I don’t think that means they look the goods.
They are a fairly young and inexperienced side, so naturally you’re going to see the odd blow out. Three of their 4 losses have been to Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney who are all top 4 sides this year. Troubled the Roosters and were in a position to win the match with 15 to go. They’re on the right track and their future looks positive.

Tatedog

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Who do you think is out there that is a realistic target to bring here as a fullback? And how long do you think we should wait, as there’s hardly anybody that is of note that is off contract at the end of this season.

How do you work out that 700k is over paying Gutho? He’s the captain of his club on the cusp of origin. Has youth on his side and is currently sitting 5th on the Dally M leaderboard. What do you think that is worth?
Well for one we haven't even tried some of the players we've already got. That should be the club's first attempt at filling the position. Feldt, Taulagi and Gela Mosby could all potentially be good value there and if it turns out they aren't it wont have cost us anything.

There was talk on here that we should target lattrell, who knows if thats realistic or not. Val is not my preference at this point but its still a possibility that club goes after him when he's done in the NFL.

Melbourne has 3 good young fullbacks, they cant keep them all. There has to be others coming through the 20's somewhere in the competition that would like an easy path to first grade, i am not a talent scout so i cant provide you with a comprehensive list of names.

I'd be okay with going into 2020 without having settled on a long term fullback. We have chosen to build around Taumalolo and Morgan for the next 5 to 10 years, i'd rather see the club build slowly and try and aim for some sustained long term success and I don't think Gutherson is the ideal candidate for that. You say he is captain of his club but even they don't want to give him the long term big money deal he is after. Thats a little concerning. No other club seems interested except maybe manly, which suggests that the market doesnt think he is worth that much either.

More importantly who would want to come and play for the cowboys with our 2018/19 record?
Apparently Reece Robson is pretty keen.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Calling him just ok is harsh, I that back. He's good, above average even. I'd happily take him but not for 700k for 4 years with a history of ACL injuries.
That’s a more reasonable comment. I can respect your point of view now.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched him kill it on the weekend. 7 tackles, 9 missed. Yikes.

For $700K a season? There's none.

Because he's finished a full season once in 5 years and has torn his ACL twice? The Eels wont even give him that and he has no other offers at the moment. Manly won't even give him 700k.

In what position? He's not even close.

Gutho must be living there as well, considering he's asking for 700k and no one wants to pay him that.

Don’t think you’ll ever find a player who looks good in a side that is beaten comprehensively by 50 odd points. The fact is he’s 5th on the Dally M leaderboard for a reason - he’s been quality.

Gutho is definitely in the conversation to snag a spot on the Blues bench as a utility. Hell if their injury crisis in the centres continue he might even find himself in their starting 13.

Parra are a shambles when it comes to organising their salary cap and contracts. Watch the fans explode if they f*** this up and he leaves.

It sounds like your biggest issue is that he’s been injured in the past. I understand the hesitation, but he’s still pretty young and looks to have gotten his body right. Do we just steer clear of any prospective player who’s ever had an injury? James Tedesco, ever heard of him? Had a pretty nasty injury history early on his career and now look at him?

700K is not that big in the grand scheme of things, especially when the salary cap goes up 200k every year of that 4 years that we’d be hypothetically signing him for.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Well for one we haven't even tried some of the players we've already got. That should be the club's first attempt at filling the position. Feldt, Taulagi and Gela Mosby could all potentially be good value there and if it turns out they aren't it wont have cost us anything.

There was talk on here that we should target lattrell, who knows if thats realistic or not. Val is not my preference at this point but its still a possibility that club goes after him when he's done in the NFL.

Melbourne has 3 good young fullbacks, they cant keep them all. There has to be others coming through the 20's somewhere in the competition that would like an easy path to first grade, i am not a talent scout so i cant provide you with a comprehensive list of names.

I'd be okay with going into 2020 without having settled on a long term fullback. We have chosen to build around Taumalolo and Morgan for the next 5 to 10 years, i'd rather see the club build slowly and try and aim for some sustained long term success and I don't think Gutherson is the ideal candidate for that. You say he is captain of his club but even they don't want to give him the long term big money deal he is after. Thats a little concerning. No other club seems interested except maybe manly, which suggests that the market doesnt think he is worth that much either.

Apparently Reece Robson is pretty keen.
I completely agree with your first point, we should most definitely be giving some of our promising kids an opportunity to prove their worth in first grade. We have lost a plethora of talent in recent years because of our reluctance to show trust in our kids.

You can’t use Parra’s negotiations with Gutho as an argument as to him not worth being chased. They are a cluster f*** of an organisation. You only have to look at how they’ve dealt with Gutherson and his manager to see how out of touch they are with regards to contract negotiations.

Chemicalspill

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I still think we are wasting time going after Gutho, I think it's Manly or he'll stay.

C'mon Carlin, get your sh#t together.

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Why did the club not announce Justin O’Neill’s re-signing last year? Seems unprecedented.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, they look in here for Soundbites or heaven forbid, the letters are worrying them.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
2018/2019 record with regards to what? I don’t really understand your question mate? Are you asking who I’d approach now going forward?
What I was alluding too, was our great winning record over the past two years, what player would want to go north and play with the seniors!

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Gutherson wanting too much IMO. I'd rather wait for one of our young players or a quality young fullback from another Club to become available. Short term pain for long term gain.

Haz

Junior
Reaction score
Surely the we could get one of Papenhuyzen, hughes or drinkwater from the storm? All showed alot of promise at the back and they're gonna be fighting for a spot once all fit..

Chemicalspill

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score

They looked good against the Dragons the other week. That was an exciting game. The game last round, well....

Snowy

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Wigan Warriors are chasing Jensen for next year. Might explain why he’s not getting s run