Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
So we got a mil to spend. Buy a decent hooker and a good young fullback. Duffy and field are good options for fullback. And their is a few good young hookers around that can't get the game time they deserve especially the young fella from the storm B Smith. What a great player.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wasnt specifically referring to spine positions, but the cowboys have (in the past) signed players with high expectations. Now i will qualify that by saying my memory is shot so can only remember recently, however these are some of the players i believe we signed with the expectation that they would provide outstanding service & step up to another level (i'm thinking current players to btw) Sure we've signed others but most were stopgap players

O'neil - Melbourne
McClean - Melbourne

Now i'm sure there were others, but i would argue these guys were signed on the premise of their performance & reputation & neither have (so far) justified that signing (imo).

I spose my point is that our best (recent) players are home grown (or developed ie Lolo) & this rush ti sign "outside" players for "quick" results is troubling.

As I have said, it is my belief that the best recruitment is one that fits the 3C's - Club, Coach Community.

I stand by my comment that Gutherson fits none of these

He's past it now but O'Neill played his best footy for us and played rep footy. He was a big contributor to our premiership. He wasn't a huge signing at the time either, expectations were moderate. He was in and out of first grade at the Storm, his reputation was middling.

McLean was very good in parts last year and he's been injured a lot of the time, I wouldn't write him off yet.

No idea what you mean about Gutherson not suiting club, coach and community.

Last edited:

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I wasnt specifically referring to spine positions, but the cowboys have (in the past) signed players with high expectations. Now i will qualify that by saying my memory is shot so can only remember recently, however these are some of the players i believe we signed with the expectation that they would provide outstanding service & step up to another level (i'm thinking current players to btw) Sure we've signed others but most were stopgap players

O'neil - Melbourne
McClean - Melbourne

Now i'm sure there were others, but i would argue these guys were signed on the premise of their performance & reputation & neither have (so far) justified that signing (imo).

I spose my point is that our best (recent) players are home grown (or developed ie Lolo) & this rush ti sign "outside" players for "quick" results is troubling.

As I have said, it is my belief that the best recruitment is one that fits the 3C's - Club, Coach Community.

O’Neill was hardly a star when he came to the club. Sure he had a good pedigree playing in a good system, but definitely wasn’t a star. He’s had good years at the club that have resulted in higher honours, so he hasn’t been a complete failure.

McLean has been a very big disappointment though, I will agree with that. Was one of the better front rowers in the comp when we signed him and has regressed ever since.

We have developed some top end talent over these years and wouldn’t be having this conversation if we hadn’t have released a certain child prodigy, and a journeyman who has now gone over to the storm and killed it. Unfortunately we don’t have any kids coming through ready so we’ve got to look to the market.

As for your 3 c’s theory, no idea how you can make that judgement without knowing the bloke personally, which I presume you don’t.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

O'neil - Melbourne
McClean - Melbourne

I cannot think of a big signing that has delivered for us since maybe Willie Tonga. Brent Tate was a better club man and got in Cowboys teams of the decade (?), but Tonga was better on the field. Cootey was coming off injuries so I was surprised we even signed him, but for two years, he was very good.

Often our best strategies have been to develop good locals products (Mango, Scott, Morgo, Taumalolo etc). Or alternatively recruit good young talent from other teams who go on to great things (JT, T. Sims, Tamou, etc). I think Ponga was widely wanted as a teen, so you could call it a coup at the time.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
O’Neill was hardly a star when he came to the club. Sure he had a good pedigree playing in a good system, but definitely wasn’t a star. He’s had good years at the club that have resulted in higher honours, so he hasn’t been a complete failure.

McLean has been a very big disappointment though, I will agree with that. Was one of the better front rowers in the comp when we signed him and has regressed ever since.

We have developed some top end talent over these years and wouldn’t be having this conversation if we hadn’t have released a certain child prodigy, and a journeyman who has now gone over to the storm and killed it. Unfortunately we don’t have any kids coming through ready so we’ve got to look to the market.

As for your 3 c’s theory, no idea how you can make that judgement without knowing the bloke personally, which I presume you don’t.
O'Neill was actually a reserve grader when we signed him. He only played seven first grade games in his final year at Melbourne IIRC

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
Can someone remind me, other than JT, how many "stars" have we signed over the years that have actually lived up to that reputation.
The pattern has been Former Greats transitioning to retirement and stars who have immediately succumbed to career-ending injuries.
Marty Bella as an example of the former, Tim Brasher illustrates the latter. And Sam Mackinnon.
Jordan McLean, while not a star, has been very disappointing for an international player.

Jonathan Davies was pretty fkn good! But at the time, no-one else was :D.

We also have a good record with bad boys. Julian O'Neill was brilliant for us and behaved impeccably while here. Willy Mason, too, was at his playful, non-dickish best. This record went a long way to my being comfortable with the Barba signing. Oh well, some things just go bent, regardless.

Last edited:

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
O'Neill was actually a reserve grader when we signed him. He only played seven first grade games in his final year at Melbourne IIRC
The season before he joined us was severely effected by injury. Think one of the first things he did when he got up here was get his knee fixed up with surgery. Before the injuries he was rated highly at Melbourne.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
When O'Neill first burst onto the scene he was seen as a future Origin player. I hadn't really taken much notice of him in the past but I had high hopes when he came here. After his first little hiccups on the wing, he proved to be a reliable player for quite some time. Seems to have developed the yips and is prone to the odd error now, a bit like Coote did.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
For mine ever since Juz had the shocking Game 1 Origin match in 2017 (one of the worst all time performances at that level) he just hasn't been the same.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This was rumoured a few weeks ago, looks like it's almost a done deal now.

Wonder if it will be for this year or next.

A few highlights here - https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/10/reece-robson-awarded-dragons-isp-player-of-the-year/?fbclid=IwAR15dLaERW7-32T_9hg2Jl43LBPXvqmswQ3E5M8fLaWai5hVCmYe7uOeB7w

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Dragons fans seem to rate him very highly.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Happy with the signing. We’ve been very unlucky the last few years with letting young talent go on to bigger and better things, so here’s hoping he comes here and kills it.

Granville may play out his last 2 seasons with us in reserve grade if this kid lives up to the hype. Begs the question - why the hell did we re-sign jake for 3 years last year?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Some Dragons fans hinting that he was promised a bench spot by Mary and didn't get it. Also hinting that a couple of other players might want to leave now that Mary has re-signed. One being Zac Lomax.

Wouldn't be a bad pickup, could be all bs though.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Greeny is going to pull a swifty and play Jake at fullback to bring his best attribute to the for as his running and support play, with a lot less defence will give him plenty of juice to attack. Baptise and Robson to play Hooker. I think we could also use TMM at centre in place of Kahu as i feel he is to slow, and TMM has more tricks to his game.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Happy with the signing. We’ve been very unlucky the last few years with letting young talent go on to bigger and better things, so here’s hoping he comes here and kills it.

Granville may play out his last 2 seasons with us in reserve grade if this kid lives up to the hype. Begs the question - why the hell did we re-sign jake for 3 years last year?
Contracts don't mean much if he finds him out of favour some other club will show interest

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Contracts don't mean much if he finds him out of favour some other club will show interest
His best bet is to cash in and go over to the Super league. He’d go well over there.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Jake must be freaking out. He hasn't had this much pressure on him in quite some time. He probably had the voodoo doll out on Chudleigh and Cotter over the years with their ACL injuries so hasn't really had to worry about his position too much. Will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets this week after Baptiste had a pretty decent stint against the Storm.