Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The Dragons have two young guys in Dufty and Field off contract this year, either could be a good target. It's not really important, my point is that Gutherson is not worth what he is asking in my opinion.

I would rather we bought nobody than saddle the club with a fat contract for a guy who has a serious injury history and is good but not great.
Dufty just recently re-signed with the dragons for a couple of years. Jai Field is unproven at NRL level.

Gutherson is on the fringes of origin selection. I’d rather pay 700-800K for a proven talent at fullback in Gutho, than 1 million for an unproven talent at fullback in Holmes. The club has clearly identified fullback as a current deficiency within our squad - it’s why we put aside 1 million a season to sign one. Would hate for us to be stuck with somebody like TMM for the next 18 months at the back while we wait for somebody else to come off contract to approach.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I am starting to think that our problem is not finding the next talents, but getting the ones we have, who were the next talent , to perform up to their perceived potential talent.

The last few years we seem to have turned potential into pretenders. Maybe we need some infusion of a Sports Psychologist to steady the ship.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Gutherson is on the fringes of origin selection. I’d rather pay 700-800K for a proven talent at fullback in Gutho, than 1 million for an unproven talent at fullback in Holmes.
How is Val unproven at fullback compared to Gutherson? Gutherson has never played a full season at fullback. Holmes played basically 2 full seasons there. Last year he had 13 tries and 9 try assists while playing fullback. He was easily the Sharks best player last year in a team that went to the prelims.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
How is Val unproven at fullback compared to Gutherson? Gutherson has never played a full season at fullback. Holmes played basically 2 full seasons there. Last year he had 13 tries and 9 try assists while playing fullback. He was easily the Sharks best player last year in a team that went to the prelims.
Tedesco is a fullback worth a million a year.

Trbojevic is a fullback worth a million a year.

Holmes is not IMO, as he’s yet to prove he is worth that price tag at fullback.

This time last year Val wasn’t even Cronulla’s first choice fullback. He is yet to develop his passing game to a point where it significantly improves his sides attack. Gutherson has a kicking game as well that adds a string to his sides bow. Gutho at 700k a season is a much better proposition than Holmes at 1mil IMO.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
A lot of Sharks fans didn't even rate Val as a fullback. As mpwfanboy said, his passing game needs a lot of work and doesn't have that kicking game either. He was still very much a winger playing fullback. That being said, he would've fit into our game perfectly as I think he would've worked well on the back of Morgo with his support play.

I like Gutherson. Clever player, plus is pretty much the most popular guy in the NRL among the players. Might be good for team morale.

Metro

Junior
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay over $500k for Gutherson.
Why? The only reason I can think of is that he has done his ACL before and often players with those injuries do them again.

Ability wise he is highly talented. You’ve got to pay the money to get a decent fullback and compete in this comp. It’s all good to say you wouldn’t pay more than $500k - but enjoy mediocrity then.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He’s done his ACL twice, in the same knee...

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We've had a bad strike rate signing players with ACL injuries

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
We've had a bad strike rate signing players with ACL injuries
Off the top of my head I think maybe we've had over 10 ACL injuries at the club in the past few years.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
And that's only considering like 3 players

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hoare and chuds share like 6 between them, Scott 1

Chemicalspill

Junior
Donor
Reaction score
This time last year Val wasn’t even Cronulla’s first choice fullback. He is yet to develop his passing game to a point where it significantly improves his sides attack. Gutherson has a kicking game as well that adds a string to his sides bow. Gutho at 700k a season is a much better proposition than Holmes at 1mil IMO.
Offer him 700k and put the other 300k of Valentine 'America is my' Holmes money towards a decent hooker.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This time last year Val was NOT the FB for Cronulla, which linked him to Cowboys for 2019, as playing FB was part of his contract clause.

Then from about RND 7 he went on a 20 game tear at FB for Sharks. Then throw a couple of 5 star games for Q and AUS. Is Val worth 900k - 1 Mill a year ?? He’ll yes !!

But he is gone ... move on.

I’d take Gutho at 700k

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Can someone remind me, other than JT, how many "stars" have we signed over the years that have actually lived up to that reputation.
I believe player signings should be a match of player, coach & club, otherwise we're just funding a wannabe

Gutherson wouldn't fit our club

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Can someone remind me, other than JT, how many "stars" have we signed over the years that have actually lived up to that reputation.
I believe player signings should be a match of player, coach & club, otherwise we're just funding a wannabe

Gutherson wouldn't fit our club

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Define what a star is? I can’t remember ever signing a ‘star’ player in our spine in recent history.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Define what a star is? I can’t remember ever signing a ‘star’ player in our spine in recent history.
I wasnt specifically referring to spine positions, but the cowboys have (in the past) signed players with high expectations. Now i will qualify that by saying my memory is shot so can only remember recently, however these are some of the players i believe we signed with the expectation that they would provide outstanding service & step up to another level (i'm thinking current players to btw) Sure we've signed others but most were stopgap players

O'neil - Melbourne
McClean - Melbourne

Now i'm sure there were others, but i would argue these guys were signed on the premise of their performance & reputation & neither have (so far) justified that signing (imo).

I spose my point is that our best (recent) players are home grown (or developed ie Lolo) & this rush ti sign "outside" players for "quick" results is troubling.

As I have said, it is my belief that the best recruitment is one that fits the 3C's - Club, Coach Community.

I stand by my comment that Gutherson fits none of these