Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder why we are debating this. I cannot see Israel Folau living in Townsville. He will want to be in a bigger media market, and his wife is also a sports star.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yes but abstinence cleanses the soul. And like a drowning man we are clutching at any straw we can get hold of.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
We definitely should sign that crazy mormon. As long as he plays on Sunday's I'm down.
Israel Folau has not been a Mormon for some time. He left the religion of his birth for a (protestant) Christian denomination.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Yes but abstinence cleanses the soul. And like a drowning man we are clutching at any straw we can get hold of.
Then i dont need to shower for the rest of my life
I wonder why we are debating this. I cannot see Israel Folau living in Townsville. He will want to be in a bigger media market, and his wife is also a sports star.
Doesn't she coach a netball team in SEQ, that means he's donkies bound probably

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
With the number of Sponsors who are reported as being ready to walk away from him I can not see the NRL registering him. So, unfortunately, that dream is over.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
NRL confirm they back the ARU decision and won't register a contract for him

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-wont-allow-sacked-israel-folau-to-rejoin-the-nrl/news-story/11f3a89a0d7a7378b7511ee6dcdf8781

I'm sure he'll have no issues collecting a fat cheque in southern France for a few years before retirement
I still see the ARU having to pay him out a good portion of the contract. Folau is not Mr Popular at the moment, but I am sure he'd win a legal case under Unfair Dismissal or discrimination.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Folau’s wife apparently plays for Adelaide’s netball team. Maybe he can join the Crows.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I still see the ARU having to pay him out a good portion of the contract. Folau is not Mr Popular at the moment, but I am sure he'd win a legal case under Unfair Dismissal or discrimination.
I really doubt it, like most professional sports there will be some kind of catch all clause relating to player behaviour

samuraipolice

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Nrl has said no to folau coming back anyways apparently. He isn't a mormon anymore so he plays Sundays, honestly I'm in the boat that wouldn't mind him. That said he's gonna make much more in a union team in France or something than the mil we'd chuck his way.
The search continues...

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I really doubt it, like most professional sports there will be some kind of catch all clause relating to player behaviour
Perhaps that is so. My gut feel is the ARU wouldn't mind paying him out if they had to. They care more about their image/ brand/ sponsors etc right now.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
FFS

EVERY company has a media code of conduct. This is what Izzy has breached hence employment terminated.

End of story... move on.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
From the immediate facts he isn't coming here and can't come here so let's draw a line under it and move on. I don't want to read any more about it, it's no longer relevant to this thread.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the NRL have ruled out registering Folau, extraneous posts have been moved here:

Note: We have a policy of no religion and politics on this site, finish having your say in there if you want but if it gets out of hand it will be locked

Last edited:

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
That sounds catastrophic for Val's chances over there. Looks like he doesn't have much option other than to sign with us.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What a lot of people are overlooking is that the Jets were forced to sign Val as part of the NFL's pathways program, he's not there on merit at all.

I hope he comes to understand the reality of the position he's in, but can't blame him for chasing a dream.