Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Tunza

Junior
Reaction score
Welsh would be a pretty solid mid-tier signing to replace Scott and Bolts. He would be an upgrade over Jensen (who I love). He's match ready while Hola and Gilbert might need a couple of seasons against men and a couple more pre-seasons to get their fitness and bodies ready.

I reckon Hola will get a couple of shots off the bench for the Cowboys this season but is at least a season away from being able to put in a consistent 20 minute stint. He played well for the Pride on Saturday night, but looked gassed at times. There was one phase where he took a couple of tackles to get back into the defensive line. 13/148 and 25 tackles @ 92.6% with a couple of offloads.

Gilbert looks like the perfect workhorse with the potential workrate of a Fenno but with more of a running game. He runs himself into the ground so it will be interesting to see how he holds up in the back half of this Q Cup season. He had a monster game against Ipswich with 17/170 and 40 tackles @ 83.3%.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Welsh would be a pretty solid mid-tier signing to replace Scott and Bolts. He would be an upgrade over Jensen (who I love). He's match ready while Hola and Gilbert might need a couple of seasons against men and a couple more pre-seasons to get their fitness and bodies ready.

I reckon Hola will get a couple of shots off the bench for the Cowboys this season but is at least a season away from being able to put in a consistent 20 minute stint. He played well for the Pride on Saturday night, but looked gassed at times. There was one phase where he took a couple of tackles to get back into the defensive line. 13/148 and 25 tackles @ 92.6% with a couple of offloads.

Gilbert looks like the perfect workhorse with the potential workrate of a Fenno but with more of a running game. He runs himself into the ground so it will be interesting to see how he holds up in the back half of this Q Cup season. He had a monster game against Ipswich with 17/170 and 40 tackles @ 83.3%.
I still reckon Jensen has another gear or two left in him. Wouldn't say no to Welch though.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I like Welch but I don't think he's an upgrade on Jensen. Maybe I'm just a massive Jensen fanboy though. Great defender and averaged almost like 90m a game off the bench last year.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Gilbert was doing his warm ups in front of me for his 2nd stint on the field yesterday, the kid is an absolute unit. Much bigger/ripped than I thought he looked in the interviews this off season. I’ve been waiting for another man crush since Tariq left me for another club, I think I may have found him.....:kiss:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Great stats, I knew he was very involved but that's impressive from a young bloke.

Tunza

Junior
Reaction score
Gilbert was doing his warm ups in front of me for his 2nd stint on the field yesterday, the kid is an absolute unit. Much bigger/ripped than I thought he looked in the interviews this off season. I’ve been waiting for another man crush since Tariq left me for another club, I think I may have found him.....:kiss:
Check out this article from about nine months ago. Says he was just 80kg at the time!

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Was reading some online site and they reckon the cowboys are looking at Christian welsh from.thr storm and Reese martin from the dogs. Not sure how much truth in it.
I'm a big fan of Welsh, or is it Welch. Tough as teak. But, would he be another Storm bust?

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Welch is an Origin prospect whereas Jensen is a fringe first grader imo. Would love to have him here.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Have to understand also we are likely losing Scott at the end of this year. I doubt we would do much better than Welch in the market so if he's willing get it done IMO. At worst he is great competition for bench spots

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Our priority should be a decent back or two. Our backline is an unknown factor.

More forwards should be a 2020 and onwards consideration.

Binky

Junior
Reaction score
Our backline would be useless without a good motor in the forward pack and if Scott retires this year we definitely have a huge void to fill, I think finding his replacement is definitely more important than another backline player considering cooper will probs hang up the boots aswell

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Jensen will be more weathered by then, I honestly rate him. Don't forget we have Asiata, Molo, Pere, Hola, Wright & Gilbert who can all play prop as well. We have tons of depth in the forwards and need a better backline as @Prince Ernst of Hanover said. If Bolts goes around again too, we still have him as well.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count Molo out yet either, he's younger than Jensen.

Looked the best he's ever looked in the trials. Always looked gassed in first grade, seems like he has improved his fitness considerably.

Last edited:

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I wouldn't count Molo out yet either, he's younger than Jensen.

Looked the best he's ever looked in the trials. Always looked gassed on first grade, seems like he has improved his fitness considerably.
Jensen is hardly at an age where you can discount his prospects due to being too old lol. In fact he’s only a year older than Molo.

I see Molo as more of an impact player. Agree about his engine, hopefully he’s improved his fitness.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Jensen is hardly at an age where you can discount his prospects due to being too old lol. In fact he’s only a year older than Molo.

I see Molo as more of an impact player. Agree about his engine, hopefully he’s improved his fitness.
Not a knock on Jensen's age, just saying Molo is young too as he's hardly ever mentioned when we're talking about the future.

Hopefully he can have a good year and be in the mix.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It's not even a year, it's 9 months. They're basically the same age.

I like Molo but he just needs to show something in first grade. He'll be leapfrogged by guys like Gilbert and Hola before long if he doesn't.

Reactions: BDR