Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah
The only DH I’m interested in signing is BSmith

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Souths would let him go, he'll probably be their long term fullback who they only just signed this year. I'd happily have him at the club but it makes no sense for Souths to release one of their brightest prospects for a fringe back rower.
cough 'Darius Boyd' cough:p:D

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I knew I was right.

This is all part of the cunning plan to get Darius to Souths. Now we just need to wait until all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place.

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
From what I remember seeing of him, he wasn't that bad of a player. How long is Baptise signed for?
We’ve got a great dummy half combination at the moment though. Baptise has signed for a year.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We’ve got a great dummy half combination at the moment though. Baptise has signed for a year.
I disagree. Whilst we have Thirsty Merc throwing potatoes from DH, I don’t think we’ll hit any lofty heights. If they could wrangle Brandy away from Melbourne, it would be a coup of all coups.

But it’s not happening so we move on.....

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I disagree. Whilst we have Thirsty Merc throwing potatoes from DH, I don’t think we’ll hit any lofty heights. If they could wrangle Brandy away from Melbourne, it would be a coup of all coups.

Katoa doesn’t have a gas tank and is not the solution. Granville was an integral part to our maiden premiership. If he can return that kind of form, and we have Baptise coming off the bench, we’ll be right.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Katoa doesn’t have a gas tank and is not the solution. Granville was an integral part to our maiden premiership. If he can return that kind of form, and we have Baptise coming off the bench, we’ll be right.
Granville’s been out played by the back ups the last 2 weeks ( noting that both were trial games). This is where we are at with it. The service from him is pure C grade shit. Passes constantly up high on the shoulder or behind the players. I love Granny to bits and he was a massive reason we won it in 2015 and had 2 more years of success. Last year he was abysmal and thus far in these trials, his passing game hasn’t improved.

who the f$&@ is Katoa by the way?

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cotter/Dunn dummy half pairing 2020 lets go

MPW_Fanboy

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Granville’s been out played by the back ups the last 2 weeks ( noting that both were trial games). This is where we are at tbh.

who the f$&@ is Katoa?
Somebody posted earlier that they’d read a report that we were after him. He’s Penrith’s current 9.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Somebody posted earlier that they’d read a report that we were after him. He’s Penrith’s current 9.
rog. Didn’t see it. I thought you might have meant Cotter.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully Coach Green will insist Granville watches Dunny's performance in the second half of the trial game.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Most of 'em aren't even peeled properly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
NRL squad and development players confirmed again. No changes. Still one spot to fill before June 30.

2019 NRL rosters: Official squads updated for all teams
The game's next generation of gun playmakers join cross-code converts and rugby league nomads as notable additions to the first comprehensive top 30 squads published by the NRL.

Each of the sixteen clubs confirmed their 29-man squads on March 1, with all bar the Bulldogs and Souths keeping a final spot available for a mid-season signing up until June 30.

Following feedback from clubs the rules regarding development players will be relaxed slightly in 2019, with no exemption required for them to play post June 30.

Before the mid-season cut-off date those players will still have to be upgrade or extenuating circumstances proven – such as an injury toll that cuts down all top 30 members available in that position.

North Queensland Cowboys
The addition of Peter Hola – all 192cm, 110 kilos of him – to the top 30 on a four-year extension leaves the Cowboys with one spot to fill by the mid-year transfer cut-off.

Former fringe Bronco Carlin Anderson remains on a development deal after an injury-plagued 2018 Intrust Super Cup campaign.

Development players
Carlin Anderson, Reuben Cotter, Thomas Gilbert, Kurt Wiltshire, Logan Bayliss, Daniel Russell

Tatedog

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
‘Zero’ chance: Bulked-up Holmes rules out 2019 NRL return and claims he’s faster than ever

Valentine Holmes has ruled out a return to the NRL this season if his quest to play in the NFL does not materialise.

“It’s zero,” Holmes replied when asked by AAP on the chances he will return to Australia to play in the NRL this year if his American dream does not pan out.

“I’m very happy with my decision that I’m over here.”

The former Kangaroos, Queensland and Cronulla back has one month to go in the intensive 12-week programme at the IMG Academy in Florida designed to prepare him for the NFL.

Holmes was selected for the NFL Pathways programme which is designed for elite non-US athletes hoping to make it in the NFL.

His biggest test comes in early April when NFL scouts converge on IMG for a combine to assess the Pathway players.

Encouragingly, Holmes says he has stacked on 3kg of muscle, lost body fat and feels stronger and faster than what he was last season with the Sharks.

It was at last year’s combine former South Sydney junior Jordan Mailata was so impressive the Philadelphia Eagles selected him in the NFL Draft.

Holmes says he will learn next week how the NFL training regime, which focuses on short, explosive bursts of power, has impacted his speed when his coaches put him through sprint work.

“I think I am faster,” Holmes said.

“I don’t really know yet because I haven’t really opened up. “I’m definitely stronger. I’m not surprised because the gym sessions have been pretty intense. I can feel it and see it in myself.”

Holmes, who quit the Sharks despite the club offering him a new $5 million contract, said he was surprised to learn chief executive Barry Russell will leave the role next month after guiding the Sharks through their salary cap scandal.

“It’s quite disappointing,” Holmes said.

“He’ll be missed. He was a player at the club for a long time and part of the club and board and CEO so I’m sure all of the players and staff there are going to miss him.”

Binky

Junior
Reaction score
I think that knowing Val wont be coming this year is a bonus, I think that if he didn't come out and state what he did the media would most likely carry on all year about it with the will he wont he.