Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
While we are all waiting to see who our new recruits are going to be..
Could someone start a thread about our worst and best signings...
Barba our worst for mine..
The original J.T the best..

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Apparently Batemans transfer fee to get him to canberra was $450k.

I can only imagine what $$$ amount we paid in the transfer fee to St. Helens for Barba to comeback to Oz.......... money we’ll never see again.

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
Yeah...i was just super stoked to see him in a cows jersey...
Saw his brother set a try scoring record in qcup..
Shame shame shame...

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Enari did play well when dropped back to QCup.

Broncos held onto players like we did and the correlation is bad performance for both teams doing that.
He didn't when he got his opportunity in first grade again. He was decent in ISC, but he probably needed to kill it most weeks to force greens hand and he didn't. I actually think a fresh start could be the making of him.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Enari, and Clifford, are slow burns for mine-expected them to be inconsistent.
Senior players should be able to carry our juniors when they play, help bring them along...our seniors and coach have let down our juniors.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I doubt they could afford him. They have some legal issues with a former student who has threatened to sue them for 100 million.
Hmmm, that's too deep for me. I don't know what you are talking about. Can I buy a vowel?

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Small bits I saw of Simpkins-reminds me of Jordan Maclean.
Need to see again.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Dan Russell confirmed top 30 squad in an article today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Dan Russell confirmed top 30 squad in an article today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Hopefully that means Wiltshire is in the dev squad for another year.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Here's the article:

Cowboys young gun Dan Russell hopes international showing will catapult him into pre-season
MATTHEW ELKERTON, Townsville Bulletin
October 6, 2019 10:37am

COWBOYS’ young gun Dan Russell is hoping a strong showing for the Papua New Guinea Kumuls will catapult him into contention for a NRL debut in 2020.
Russell earned the call up to the Kumuls ahead of the Downer Rugby League World Cup Nines in Sydney later this month.

It will be the second time he has pulled on the international strip after representing the island nation in a Prime Minister’s invitational against the Australian PM XII last year.

But the aura of playing at the international level has certainly not left the Emerald junior who was surprised to receive the call up.

“For anyone I suppose it is a shock, I am excited and can’t wait,” he said. “It is really good to bring that PNG feeling to the field. They just love their league over there.

“I went over there for the PM game last year, and with the (Mackay) Cutters this year. Anyone who plays rugby league needs to play over there. You don’t get anything like (the atmosphere) anywhere else.”

Russell qualifies for the Kumuls through his father Mark, who was born in Port Moresby and grew up in the north coast town of Madang until the age of 16.

He will be joined in the squad by Townsville Blackhawks backline utility Kyle Laybutt, who missed the side’s finals run through injury.

Russell has been promoted to the Cowboys top-30 squad for the 2020 NRL season after a year on their development list and said he was looking forward to picking the brains of Melbourne Storm breakout centre Justin Olam when they meet for camp next week.

“He was outstanding for the Melbourne Storm, he will have a lot of experience coming out of this season and I am looking forward to playing alongside him,” Russell said.

“With the Storm, it is a great club and he will have a lot of input and advice to let me know about. The more advice the better, for a bloke like him and the success he had this year, I want to get as much out of him as possible.”

Russell could prove to be an answer to a backline problem that plagued the Cowboys through the 2019 season. The club also let go of several backline options at the end of the season including Jordan Kahu, Enari Tuala, Javid Bowen and Gideon Gela-Mosby, opening the door for the 23-year-old to stake his claim for a spot.

“I can’t wait (for pre-season), it is a massive honour and the Cowboys are a great club, hopefully I can put that jersey on soon,” he said.

“For any young fella who starts footy at a young age, playing in the NRL is your dream.

“I started in Under-7s with Emerald Brothers, I have played for a long time. To play professional and the top league would be something special, and to do it at the Cowboys would be even more special.”

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/cowboys-young-gun-dan-russell-hopes-international-showing-will-catapult-him-into-preseason/news-story/6e036a93780fb643618f47c5ca9ecb70

Status
Not open for further replies.