Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I hold a similar opinion. Tuala played junior kangaroos and PM’s XIII at the end of 2018 so he was obviously doing enough right. Even if his attitude was poor this year, doesn’t the club back itself to get it right and offer him a 12 month contract and tell him it’s his last chance? We were prepared to give barba and carney another chance when we hadn’t invested anything in them compared to Tuala.

As a complete outsider, it looks like our younger players don’t feel supported by the club. Clifford’s treatment has also been a bit shabby. He was playing great at the end of last season then gets pulled out of first grade in JT’s last game in front of a packed crowd so he can play QCup finals. And then at the start of this season he’s dropped again. Just doesn’t look like a supportive environment for our young (and local) players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have no idea how many 'last chances' he already has. I don't believe the club needs to tell us either, for the young man's sake.

Bottom line is we have no idea why he left and could be for all the reasons that have been stated.

Reactions: BDR

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He was probably pissed off the club signed Opacic and overtook him for a centre spot in round 1. At the time I was a bit disappointed at that. Pretty sure most of us had Tuala in our teams at the start of the year. As a potential NRL player you have to roll with the punches and use that as motivation to improve rather than start kicking stones around the place.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
watching Tuala in 20s I saw the potential but thought it would take him a few years to being up to Nrl standard
I don’t believe the rumours about him being a bad apple-might be correct I just don’t believe it atm..won’t believe it till he’s quoted as saying similar

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Just finished watching it. Simpkins seemed pretty quiet. Mostly stayed on his edge and never really came in looking for the ball. Loves an offload. Seemed to get one away, or at least try to, on every run. Pretty sure he scored NZ's second try. It was off a grubber and a few players dived for it. First time I've seen him play and he looks pretty raw.

Faatili was great in the opening 25-30. Easily one of NZs best in the first half. Scored two tries and made heaps of runs. Kicked two goals as well. Hope we keep him around.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with tuala, he isnt a bad egg or a bad trainer. He is off to sydney. Have no idea what team though.
Sounds like he did something though that the club didn’t like.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe he is off to the Titans. The Council have just put out tenders for one at Nerang. That will be the deal maker.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think it was only this forum that was worried about any of that.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Quick look at what's changed for the Cowboys, and Donkies, since our glorious premiership four years ago:

* Both teams have only 7 out of 17 players heading into 2020
* Both teams have an identical split of 2/1/3/1 backs, halves, forwards and bench
* Cows have retained their coach, Donkies not so much
* Both teams have slid way down the ladder with poor results in recent seasons

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Quick look at what's changed for the Cowboys, and Donkies, since our glorious premiership four years ago:

* Both teams have an identical split of 2/1/3/1 backs, halves, forwards and bench
Maybe cross Glenn / Oates off from them aswell.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
He was probably pissed off the club signed Opacic and overtook him for a centre spot in round 1. At the time I was a bit disappointed at that. Pretty sure most of us had Tuala in our teams at the start of the year. As a potential NRL player you have to roll with the punches and use that as motivation to improve rather than start kicking stones around the place.
He should have done what Tom did when he got dropped and got put back in ISC. Get his head down, work hard and make the most of his opportunity.

I'd still have kept Enari, but there must be something he isnt doing. Hard to think really he was on a par with that Staggs from Brisbane in 2018.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

Sorry, not trying to be a smart arse, but your point is what exactly???? As far as recruitment & retention????
As i have heard before
We can move forward & look back
We cant move back & look forward
Meaning that we cant change the past nor can we predict the future, teams change every year, but means fuk all if the coach wont change

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He should have done what Tom did when he got dropped and got put back in ISC. Get his head down, work hard and make the most of his opportunity.

I'd still have kept Enari, but there must be something he isnt doing. Hard to think really he was on a par with that Staggs from Brisbane in 2018.
Enari did play well when dropped back to QCup.

Sorry, not trying to be a smart arse, but your point is what exactly???? As far as recruitment & retention????
As i have heard before
We can move forward & look back
We cant move back & look forward
Meaning that we cant change the past nor can we predict the future, teams change every year, but means fuk all if the coach wont change

Broncos held onto players like we did and the correlation is bad performance for both teams doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.