Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Does anyone KNOW that this was the issue with Tuala or are we just guessing? GGM definitely had well documented off-field struggles.
You don’t let a 20 year old junior Kangaroo (that you have been developing for years) go unless there are attitude or behavioural issues. That’s obvious isn’t it?

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
You don’t let a 20 year old junior Kangaroo (that you have been developing for years) go unless there are attitude or behavioural issues. That’s obvious isn’t it?
Still a guess - I'd love to actually know so we can put it to bed. It SEEMS logical, but it's also possible that Greeny is cooked in the head and let a talented local kid go.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As Metro said, it’s true.

Mediocre on field performance coupled with poor off field attitude = see you later.

As I said earlier, I hope he gets a late reprieve. We are desperately short of players in the centres.

pslbheth

Junior
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone KNOW that this was the issue with Tuala or are we just guessing? GGM definitely had well documented off-field struggles.
We will lament the decision to get rid of them, just like the decision to get rid of Ethan

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
We will lament the decision to get rid of them, just like the decision to get rid of Ethan
Nah. Now is a good time to reset the culture of the place. Glad the club is setting a standard.

Have been critical of the club on other stuff but I like this.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Solomone Kata has quit the Storm to pursue an undisclosed opportunity elsewhere. I have a feeling it could be with us. Hmmmm.....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There was a rumour a few months back that he was going to Union. Might be that.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This is the bit I'm after - the truth. What did he do off the field?
Nothing that will make the papers.

Just not meeting specific training targets, not always having a professional attitude.

I’m pretty sure his last NRL game was @ Dragons and he got owned by the big Fijian winger.

Coaching staff disappointed with attitude in that game, and the attitude didn’t improve.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Considering most of us on here were genuinely excited for him this year, he was fairly fkn poor overall imo, so i guess that sort of explains his form a little. Shame, but like you say lets hope he gets an 11th hour call up & proves all wrong

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Remarkable the amount of young players at the club with poor attitudes.
There have been only a couple that I know of in recent years?

Young players with talent but lacking in other departments aren't a rarity, every club has plenty of them. Some end up figuring it out (Taumalolo, Feldt), others don't (KFFL, Leary).

Last edited:

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score

Young players with talent but lacking in other departments aren't a rarity, every club has plenty of them. Some end up figuring it out (Taumalolo, Feldt), others don't (KFFL, Leary).
Leary was always one of those I thought really missed his opportunity. He's NRL quality through and through, just doesn't give enough of a shit to see it to the end.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Leary was always one of those I thought really missed his opportunity. He's NRL quality through and through, just doesn't give enough of a shit to see it to the end.
He was great at hooker filling in while Jake was injured in 2017

Crazy to think how many Injuries we had that year and still made the GF

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Solomone Kata has quit the Storm to pursue an undisclosed opportunity elsewhere. I have a feeling it could be with us. Hmmmm.....
Looks like Kata is off to the Brumbies.

Powerhouse Melbourne Storm centre Solomone Kata has quit the NRL to join Australian Super Rugby club the Brumbies.

The 104kg league star will be a huge backline addition to the reigning Australian conference champions.

Kata has chosen to sign with the Brumbies for the next two seasons through to the end of 2021.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/melbourne-storm-bulldozer-solomone-kata-tipped-to-join-brumbies/news-story/09e1571d06874bd384a383a0f1af1eef

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I just have a healthy dose of scepticism regarding the narrative surrounding the release of Enari Tuala. In the weeks following there has been leaks from supposed 'club sources' laying the blame squarely with the individual.

Of course this may be entirely true.

If this club hadn't been a complete basket case these past two years then I might display more faith. But as it stands, I would be prepared to hear the other side of the story.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I feel the ‘issue’ with these young blokes is best summarised in the earlier post about Leary. Some people aren’t prepared to do the hard work and make the sacrifices. They are happier playing at a semi-professional level with their mates.
This is not a criticism of those players at all. If you don’t enjoy what you are doing then do something else. I’m okay with that.
Could the club have done more to nurture these young men ?? I’m not sure, but these young guys have got to show they want to be there.
They may go to a different club and with a change of scenery find their love for the game again and kick on. Good luck to them if they do.
I want this club to be successful as much as anyone that posts on these pages. I also want these young NQ men to be content and successful with what they are doing whether that is playing at another club or ISC or local A-Grade comp.

trey

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I just have a healthy dose of scepticism regarding the narrative surrounding the release of Enari Tuala. In the weeks following there has been leaks from supposed 'club sources' laying the blame squarely with the individual.

Of course this may be entirely true.

If this club hadn't been a complete basket case these past two years then I might display more faith. But as it stands, I would be prepared to hear the other side of the story.
I hold a similar opinion. Tuala played junior kangaroos and PM’s XIII at the end of 2018 so he was obviously doing enough right. Even if his attitude was poor this year, doesn’t the club back itself to get it right and offer him a 12 month contract and tell him it’s his last chance? We were prepared to give barba and carney another chance when we hadn’t invested anything in them compared to Tuala.

As a complete outsider, it looks like our younger players don’t feel supported by the club. Clifford’s treatment has also been a bit shabby. He was playing great at the end of last season then gets pulled out of first grade in JT’s last game in front of a packed crowd so he can play QCup finals. And then at the start of this season he’s dropped again. Just doesn’t look like a supportive environment for our young (and local) players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.