Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Glad in a way we didn't make the finals, reckon we were facing the same fate. I remember getting towelled up by Manly in the 2011 finals .
There fans might rib us about the wooden spoons, but you just know this flogging will get brought up every year at finals from now till eternity.....ha ha ha, suck shit donkeys

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Milligna

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There fans might rib us about the wooden spoons, but you just know this flogging will get brought up every year at finals from now till eternity.....ha ha ha, suck shit donkeys

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Probably will but 17 - 16 gets to them every time.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
we’ve never lost a finals game by 50.

♂

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
At the time I thought the grand final defeat might humble Broncos fans a bit, but if anything they've got worse. Such an entitled bunch they are.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Can Green please not buy any of these old Brisbane players that are certain the hit the scrap heap after their thrashing by the Eels yesterday.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Can Green please not buy any of these old Brisbane players that are certain the hit the scrap heap after their thrashing by the Eels yesterday.
Just because a team gets thrashed doesn't mean there isn't a good individual player to recruit.

I looked through the Brisbane backline. Most wouldn't interest me. However I noticed the name "Kotoni Staggs". 20 years old. I checked some highlights on youtube and I liked what I saw. Already contracted to Brisbane for 2020. Not sure what his defence his like.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
At the time I thought the grand final defeat might humble Broncos fans a bit, but if anything they've got worse. Such an entitled bunch they are.
Agree, it just shows what an average bunch of forwards can do playing as a team. I was at Brisbane airport in August when the prima-donnas were flying up to Townsville. What are arrogant bunch. I hear their fans are going ape-shit, excellent.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I'd still take Glenn for the right price for a year or two. He seems like a great professional and good role model, and would be better than Coops ( saddens me to say that ). Shows how badly they have managed their roster when they have to play him in the centers because they dont have anyone else. Maybe they should have kept Opacic.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I'd still take a cut-price Oatsey. I've heard through the grapevine that he has his contract signed and ready to go but Broncos can't afford it. The NRL have a market price on him and Broncos can't meet it unless they shed some weight. Please god I hope we don't go anywhere near Shibasaki.

Staggs would be the prize for sure, but no way they're letting him go.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The broncos equivalent of this forum is a pleasure to read at the moment........ head over to broncoshq if you want a good laugh.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I don't take any pleasure from the Broncos loss.

I'm far more interested in how we can improve in the next few years. Paul Green might have thought he hit the jackpot when he received his last contact offer. Quote from 16 April, 2018 article:

"THE North Queensland Cowboys have staved off interest from the Brisbane Broncos to re-sign coach Paul Green to a new three-year deal that will see him become the most capped coach in the club’s 23-year history."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/teams/cowboys/paul-greens-new-coaching-contract-makes-north-queensland-cowboys-history/news-story/a9e8fb59a4d8eac1ed757c1e2934602a

How can we ever repay the cowboys leadership for their wisdom?

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan is looking to coach again. Him coaching us would be awesome. I think St George will appoint him after sacking PM though.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan is looking to coach again. Him coaching us would be awesome. I think St George will appoint him after sacking PM though.
I read that. He went full cap in hand Oliver Twist like. 'Please sir, can I have some more?'

Maybe a good punishment for him would be to sort out the NQ rabble?

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Why would we want a proven cheat? Recruiting dud people hasn't worked out well for us lately. Carney, Barba, MacDonald, McGuire etc. Being led by a massive cheat would be even worse.

EDIT: I might be in the minority (doesn't bother me), but I'd rather be proud of a losing team than embarrassed by a winning team. What I've loved most about the Cows over the past 25 years has been the fight, the underdog success, the local juniors, the great people and the stories of doing things our way, doing them the right way. If our culture is as broken as we are all being lead to believe, go back to our roots. Recruit locally. Take some pain for a few years while we develop our kids. Have pride in the jersey, the community and the team. Play the long game, the 10-year JT13 contract game. Bring the fans along on the journey.

If anyone wants to see how a club can turn themselves around through culture and development, read up on the Brisbane Lions. I've heard a couple of interviews with their club staff and they have an amazing approach to growth and development at the core of their culture. They'll be at the top of the tree again next season with a year of experience under their belts, and not because they bought five amazing players or have a generational team like the back to back seasons. They've focused on everyone in the organisation developing, improving, adapting the way they play to the skills they have. It's bloody inspirational. What have we got at the moment?

Last edited:

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Flanagan’s record speaks for itself. He’s an experienced, very good coach. He’s not Adolf Hitler. The club was prepared to sign known woman abuser Ben Barba which is far worse than anything Flanagan has done.

pslbheth

Junior
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Why would we want a proven cheat? Recruiting dud people hasn't worked out well for us lately. Carney, Barba, MacDonald, McGuire etc. Being led by a massive cheat would be even worse.

EDIT: I might be in the minority (doesn't bother me), but I'd rather be proud of a losing team than embarrassed by a winning team. What I've loved most about the Cows over the past 25 years has been the fight, the underdog success, the local juniors, the great people and the stories of doing things our way, doing them the right way. If our culture is as broken as we are all being lead to believe, go back to our roots. Recruit locally. Take some pain for a few years while we develop our kids. Have pride in the jersey, the community and the team. Play the long game, the 10-year JT13 contract game. Bring the fans along on the journey.

If anyone wants to see how a club can turn themselves around through culture and development, read up on the Brisbane Lions. I've heard a couple of interviews with their club staff and they have an amazing approach to growth and development at the core of their culture. They'll be at the top of the tree again next season with a year of experience under their belts, and not because they bought five amazing players or have a generational team like the back to back seasons. They've focused on everyone in the organisation developing, improving, adapting the way they play to the skills they have. It's bloody inspirational. What have we got at the moment?
yeah gee but they have been sh*t for a long long time

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

They also did incredible losing over a long, long period. The way the AFL is structured if you lose and lose you get all the best players through the draft. It’s not the miracle you are making it out to be.

We don’t get the best young players by sucking so it’s not really an organisation to take inspiration from.

Status
Not open for further replies.