Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Garrett Smith of Cutters 20s fame signed a dev contract for 2020 a few months ago I believe. Under 18s and Under 20s QLD rep. His old man played grade too.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake letting tuala leave. Opacic could easily have played left side, and we could have used this year to help Enari develop. He could hav3 interchanged with Kahu a fair bit.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
With so little quality centers in the NRL it really astounds me that we let Tuala go.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I echo the calls on Tuala. Has a lot of promise and I believe the potential to one day be a rep centre. Someone, somewhere should have overruled Green's decision to let him go (looking at you Peter Parr).

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In my view, Tuala actually started to look the goods in his final game.

Is any of this official by the way? Or is Anthony Stewart being our local reporter as good as official?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
In my view, Tuala actually started to look the goods in his final game.

Is any of this official by the way? Or is Anthony Stewart being our local reporter as good as official?
We'll probably find out on the official squad list for next year.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed with Tuala but thought he'd get another crack aswell. I don't know about his attitude but was hoping Mosby would be given one last chance, with his speed and only being 23.
My response was not meant to be a dig. Thought yourself (or someone) could throw some names out there of some young guys who might get a crack in the top 30.
And a few members have.

A little of topic, Patrick Mago hasn't kicked on at the Broncos with their superstar pack. Has anyone seen how he goin in QCup this year? We have Hola coming thru. He has impressed me with what I've seen. Reminds me of a young Petro

Hey gang

I have a good opinion of PM....maybe he can work his way thru our lower grades system, and get back into our first grade system.

Coach Green is hopeless with bringing juniors along-that’s why our juniors, Mosby etc haven’t kicked on.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
well, well, well.

Look what the cat dragged in........

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Hey gang

I have a good opinion of PM....maybe he can work his way thru our lower grades system, and get back into our first grade system.

Coach Green is hopeless with bringing juniors along-that’s why our juniors, Mosby etc haven’t kicked on.
Welcome back Paulo.

I thought mago was good in his last couple of games for us, was a mystery why he was cut.
In saying that tho frank the tank has gone really good & should be starting next year you'd like to think

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Mago wasn't cut. He's from Brisbane, was off contract and got a 2-year deal from them. Done pretty much nothing since leaving and isn't really killing it in Q Cup.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing some "pedals" of wisdom......

Big Pete

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think Mago would be a good fit for the Cowboys. He works best as a loose forward who can come on and generate good quick play the balls in limited minutes. It's handy, but the Cowboys already have that covered in Asiata. With Gilbert coming through, it'd be a wiser investment to give him that time.

If the Cowboys were to pick up one Broncos reject, they should consider George Fai on a train & trial deal. Fai is one of the better prospects out there, the issue is that he doesn't take his football seriously. He's only 23, so with his Broncos contract set to expire it maybe the kick up the backside he needs and if he puts in, he'd be a valuable addition to the middle rotation.

But as far as Mago and the Broncos are concerned, Mago was brought in as a buffer for Flegler and Carrigan who were both getting seasoned in QCup. When Bennett was pushed out of the club, Mago happened to find himself as a stowaway and Seibold made it clear that his future revolved around the young players and his ex-Melbourne NYC players. Mago has just been slogging away at Souths Logan, knowing full well he isn't getting a call up and playing in a side that is struggling terribly this season. I think a change in scenary would do him the world of good and he'd become a decent member of another rotation, most likely the Warriors.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't catch the Dragons/Titans game over the weekend. How did Reece Robson go?

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Didn't catch the Dragons/Titans game over the weekend. How did Reece Robson go?
Pretty good. Played the full 80, made like 50 tackles and some good runs. No mistakes really. Already a way better passer than Granville (so is Cotter).

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
KRISTIAN WOOLF TO SUCCEED JUSTIN HOLBROOK AS ST.HELENS HEAD COACH

St.Helens R.F.C. can confirm that Kristian Woolf has signed a deal to succeed Justin Holbrook as the club’s new Head Coach and will officially take up the position on the 1st November in time for the start of the 2020 Super League season.

After an extensive search, including coaches from across the world, Woolf has beaten off strong competition which included both young, up and coming as well as experienced personnel.

He has signed a two year deal at the Saints, with the club having an option to extend his contract by a further year.

Eamonn McManus, Chairman of St.Helens R.F.C. said: “We consider that Kristian is ideally qualified and placed to build upon the current success of the team and the club.

“He has the experience and expertise to bring the best out of our existing squad and to improve it further.

“We are very confident that the Saints will seriously compete for honours under his tenure and that we will continue to play attractive and exciting rugby league.”

Woolf, 44, will arrive at the Saints from NRL side, Newcastle Knights where he had been an Assistant Coach, and more recently interim Head Coach, following the departure of former Saint Nathan Brown.

Over his five years as coach of Tonga, Woolf improved the nation’s world ranking from 14th to 4th and guided them to the semi-finals of the World Cup back in 2017, defeating New Zealand along the way – the first time that a tier-two team had defeated a tier-one team.

His professional coaching career began in 2003, where he coached the North Queensland Cowboys Schoolboys to a Grand Final. He returned to the Cowboys and in 2011 he led the Under 20’s (NYC) to the Grand Final for the first time in their history only to lose in golden point to the New Zealand Warriors. During that time, Woolf worked with the likes of Jason Taumalolo, Will Tupou, James Segeyaro, Kyle Feldt and Ray Thompson who all progressed to first grade rugby.

Two years later, he stepped up to become Assistant Coach of NRL side Brisbane Broncos and helped lead them to two finals in three years, before returning to North Queensland as the inaugural coach of the new Intrust Super Cup side, the Townsville Blackhawks in 2015. In the club’s first season, he led them to first place and the Grand Final.

In 2018, Woolf left his role as Blackhawks’ head coach, which he held for four seasons, to take up his role with the Knights and was recently named interim Head Coach.

Kristian Woolf said: “I’m excited and privileged to be joining St Helens as Head Coach.

“It’s something I have always wanted to do and it’s a great opportunity for me.

“St Helens is a club with an amazing history and I’m confident we can achieve great things together.”

St.Helens R.F.C. will be holding a press conference later in the year once Kristian arrives at the club and will be making no further comment at this time as we focus on the remainder of the 2019 Betfred Super League season.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/09/10/kristian-woolf-to-succeed-justin-holbrook-as-st-helens-head-coach/