Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Mosby bottled his career at the Cows with his off field conduct.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
You just know we are going to get hand-me-downs. Who the hell wants to go all the way to Townville to play for that miserable git!

stevealbertqld

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Who are these new faces? Anyone on the radar to get excited about?
What’s the definition of insanity??

Gotta be realistic about what’s best for the club. I’d say green gooone but that is not best for the club because we simply cannot pull 2 million bucks out of our ass. They need a fresh squad. I disagree with letting tuala go but the direction is correct. I imagine there’s a good chance we have snagged Scott or possibly masters (don’t think so) already for this to happen. Regardless of who it is, we have salary cap space to spend and needed a clean out, regardless of whether we pay overs for guys like that. In a completely non confrontational way, I’d like to know what you think the answer is. We’re not in a very good position.

Big Pete

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Gela-Mosby and Tuala are a sad reminder of what could have been. Both were stand-outs coming through the junior levels but for whatever reason couldn't take their games to the next level. I'm surprised Gideon survived as long as he did. His off-field track record is well documented, but even his performances on the field left a lot to be desired. He dead-set gave the game to Brisbane, which should be enough to see you banished from Townsville.

Both could go onto become great players elsewhere and good luck to them, that doesn't mean the Cowboys made a mistake in this instance. If anything, their loyalty to fringe players has cost them, keeping them on well beyond the fact waiting for them to become the players they refuse to become.

So this shapes as a good sign, because at the very least changes are being made. It's just getting the tricky part right, making a couple of marquee signings, identifying a few more prospects around the NRL system and bringing through more of their own. I still believe the Cowboys best chance of success is through their development pathways.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not surprised or disappointed about any except Tuala. I think that is a mistake, he's still young and thought he had potential.

queenslander66

Junior
Reaction score
Options for 2020?

Euan Aitken (Free to leave).
Ryan Hall (Won't likely be in Roosters 17).
Kotoni Staggs (Underpaid at the Broncos)
Curtis Scott (Free to leave).
Kurt Capewell (A player that does a good job wherever he is, whether it's Wing, Centre, Second Row + QLDer).
Esan Marsters.
Sione Katoa - Sharks (Tackle-busting machine on the Wing and not in Sharks 17).
Bailey Simmonson (Not in Raiders top 17, but is a gun player).
Ronaldo Muiltalo (Good young player, not in Sharks 17 + QLDer I think)
Taane Milne (Really good player, but has had his troubles and is making the most of his opportunity at the Warriors, but might not be in the Warriors best 17).
Greg Leleisauo (Big wraps on the kid + Off-contract)
Val Holmes ( 1. Val, 6. Drinkwater 7. Morgan, 9. Robson = Spine for the next 5 years). Would rather Morgan in the Centres but that just won't happen with the money he's on.

Big Pete

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score
So 20/30 signed NRL squad atm. 5 of the remaining 10 spots left need to pretty much be outside backs
22/30 with the following confirmed

Drinkwater, Feldt, Taulagi, O'Neil, Opacic, Clifford, Morgan, Asiata, Hola, McGuire, McLean, Molo, Pere, Taumalolo, Jensen, Cotter, Granville, Robson, Dunn, Hess, Wright & Cooper.

No word yet on Hampton or T. Martin.

Bayliss, Gilbert, Russell & Wiltshire could all push up.

Every NRL squad has to announce a squad of 24 by November. However as the Roosters showed, you can just sign a player like Latrell's brother and quietly release him before your squad gets sorted.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
my god we have some serious signing to do.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Pretty sure Hamiso and Griffin Neame will be development players next year.

Another rumoured signing (according to the Bulldogs forum) is Connelly Lemuelu. 21-year old outside back who went to Keebra. Averaging 130m per game for Canterbury's NSW Cup side. Could also be a dev player.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Think of all the time and effort that went into Enari and Gideon. Sad!

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What’s the definition of insanity??

Gotta be realistic about what’s best for the club. I’d say green gooone but that is not best for the club because we simply cannot pull 2 million bucks out of our ass. They need a fresh squad. I disagree with letting tuala go but the direction is correct. I imagine there’s a good chance we have snagged Scott or possibly masters (don’t think so) already for this to happen. Regardless of who it is, we have salary cap space to spend and needed a clean out, regardless of whether we pay overs for guys like that. In a completely non confrontational way, I’d like to know what you think the answer is. We’re not in a very good position.
I wasn't impressed with Tuala but thought he'd get another crack aswell. I don't know about his attitude but was hoping Mosby would be given one last chance, with his speed and only being 23.
My response was not meant to be a dig. Thought yourself (or someone) could throw some names out there of some young guys who might get a crack in the top 30.
And a few members have.

A little of topic, Patrick Mago hasn't kicked on at the Broncos with their superstar pack. Has anyone seen how he goin in QCup this year? We have Hola coming thru. He has impressed me with what I've seen. Reminds me of a young Petro

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Re: Tuala, he looked totally out-muscled in the NRL, except for his final appearance. It was the exact opposite in ISC where he would palm-off and run over people. He seemed to be caught somewhere between the two levels. You'd have to think he would only improve next season. Murray probably made Tuala look worse by comparing them. Even though he made mistakes, physically he handled it better.

Gideon, well he was just as random in both competitions.

Hard calls to make, maybe they have a proven outside back or two ready to come onto the books and a couple of guns ready for development?

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Think of all the time and effort that went into Enari
I've been pretty angry with the way Tuala has been handled all season. He's a natural right centre (only competition was Opacic, who had an excellent season) who was played out of position on the left wing and expected to flourish? Last season, as a rookie, he was set up to fail on a right edge with Hess-Clifford-Tuala. In attack the ball went left 80% of the time to JT and in defence that edge was constantly defending 3-on-2 and 2-on-1 because Hess was unable to get off the ground in tackles.

If there was a development plan for him then why was he playing right centre for the Pride and left wing for the NRL team? It seems to me like there is ZERO planning in the development of our young players and certainly no patience from the coaching team. I wouldn't be surprised if the club's attitude was "prove you're a first-grader or sit on the sideline" rather than utilising a young player's strengths and developing them into a first grade player.

Tuala was a good Australian Schoolboy player (look for the 2018 Aus vs NZ game if you can find it) and was neck and neck with Staggs as the brightest young centre in the Q Cup. Outside of some sort of discipline or attitude issue, or possibly a smart club signing him for good money, I can't think of any reason why we would let a promising young player at a position of need go - even if we get Scott or some unexpected starter in the centres.

I can't think of a single young player that we seem to have had a strong development plan for under Green. Hess might be the closest but he's been f****d around by being played out of position on the right edge and ridiculously in the centres. I'm worried about the development of Clifford and Hola and extremely pessimistic about how they'll be treated next season.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Has the club really had a good record developing young players since the early 00's? The only notable player since then I can think of who came through our system with minimal hiccups is Scott Bolton (let me know if I'm forgetting someone). Morgo, Taumalolo and Feldt are good current examples, but they were in and out of first grade for years before they finally cemented their spots.

We've tended to rely on picking up young players from elsewhere just before they hit first grade, rather than groom our juniors. I think it's been a problem with our club as a whole for a while. We've had some promising juniors coming through but they haven't been retained.

I think this current crop of juniors we have on the cusp of first grade at the moment are the most promising in a while, hopefully we don't let them go this time.

Last edited:

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Has the club really had a good record developing young players since the early 00's? The only notable player from recent years I can think of who came through our system with minimal hiccups is Scott Bolton (let me know if I'm forgetting someone). Morgo, Taumalolo and Feldt are good current examples, but they were in and out of first grade for years before they finally cemented their spots.

We've tended to rely on picking up young players from elsewhere just before they hit first grade, rather than groom our juniors. I think it's been a problem with our club as a whole for a while. We've had some promising juniors coming through but they've been let go to other teams.

I think this current crop of juniors we have on the cusp of first grade at the moment are the most promising in a while, hopefully we don't let them go this time.
Or go to waste.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I've been pretty angry with the way Tuala has been handled all season. He's a natural right centre (only competition was Opacic, who had an excellent season) who was played out of position on the left wing and expected to flourish? Last season, as a rookie, he was set up to fail on a right edge with Hess-Clifford-Tuala. In attack the ball went left 80% of the time to JT and in defence that edge was constantly defending 3-on-2 and 2-on-1 because Hess was unable to get off the ground in tackles.

If there was a development plan for him then why was he playing right centre for the Pride and left wing for the NRL team? It seems to me like there is ZERO planning in the development of our young players and certainly no patience from the coaching team. I wouldn't be surprised if the club's attitude was "prove you're a first-grader or sit on the sideline" rather than utilising a young player's strengths and developing them into a first grade player.

Tuala was a good Australian Schoolboy player (look for the 2018 Aus vs NZ game if you can find it) and was neck and neck with Staggs as the brightest young centre in the Q Cup. Outside of some sort of discipline or attitude issue, or possibly a smart club signing him for good money, I can't think of any reason why we would let a promising young player at a position of need go - even if we get Scott or some unexpected starter in the centres.

I can't think of a single young player that we seem to have had a strong development plan for under Green. Hess might be the closest but he's been f****d around by being played out of position on the right edge and ridiculously in the centres. I'm worried about the development of Clifford and Hola and extremely pessimistic about how they'll be treated next season.
The points you have made here are very succinct.

I argued months ago that Paul Green has a woeful record of development. Another poster retorted "hang on, he developed Taumalolo", who was already an international before Green even came to North Queensland.

Paul Green and those around him have not had the skillset to bring young players through. Pretty much every young player from our junior system has been badly mishandled and pilloried. It has been ugly to watch.

The re-signing of Paul Green has proven to be an extremely poor miscalculation. At a time when the club requires careful and prudent transition, Green has been dogged with his old and tired structures. Then gets indignant when anyone dare point that out.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Tuala is the only one that surprises me. The others have all had ample opportunity to show their worth. Some players are just Qcup players.