Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Bangkok Cowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
What most people don't know is he had a lot of personal issues going on at the time with the death of his sister which really screwed him up.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Was just reading back on some articles from when a couple of guys signed..

McGuire signed with us on an apparent 3.2 million 4 year contract. That's 800k a year.
McLean is on a 2 million 3 year deal worth about 650k a year

McGuire is a hard worker in the middle but that's overs for him imo. He's an honest toiler (well maybe not honest). He isn't going to do anything special. Certainly can't score a try like Hass did last night, which is what kind of plays you'd want from a forward worth that much. And that's without mentioning the games he's missed due to injury or suspension.

Definitely not getting the value out of McLean at the moment either. I just don't think he's that good. Poor man's Tamou.

Morgo is on a million a year for 5 seasons as well. That could turn into a complete disaster if he doesn't pull his finger out.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What most people don't know is he had a lot of personal issues going on at the time with the death of his sister which really screwed him up.
Glad he has gotten it together, seemed like he was spiraling downwards for a while there. Footy isn't everything so long as he has cleaned up and is living a good life.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

McGuire signed with us on an apparent 3.2 million 4 year contract. That's 800k a year.

McGuire is a hard worker in the middle but that's overs for him imo. He's an honest toiler (well maybe not honest). He isn't going to do anything special. Certainly can't score a try like Hass did last night, which is what kind of plays you'd want from a forward worth that much. And that's without mentioning the games he's missed due to injury or suspension.

Definitely not getting the value out of McLean at the moment either. I just don't think he's that good. Poor man's Tamou.

Morgo is on a million a year for 5 seasons as well. That could turn into a complete disaster if he doesn't pull his finger out.
To honest I don’t think McLean has had a good run without injuries.bhes definitely been playing with foot injuries which hurt your impact especially when you rely on leg drive up the middle.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

pretty sure brisbane is covering some of Mcguire’s $$$$ for first couple of seasons he’s with us.......

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

These guys aren't the problem.
Inconsistent hooker and halves. Poor backline with little strike. Players out of position.
Who gives a rats sack what Moose and Mclean are on.;)

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Our main problem is the hooker position and outside backs. Granville should be no where near first grade and our outside backs lack speed. Our recruitment and retention have been a joke in these positions just look at what we kept and what we let go.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Green and Parr have a lot to answer for for re-signing Granville for so long and also secretly resigning O’Neill.

Two duds these days who should have been let go.
O'Neill had been hitting some form before his injury though.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
O'Neill had been hitting some form before his injury though.
That's true, but his previous form didn't warrant anything like the extension that he was given, and there would have been very little competition for his signing. A 1 year extension I could cop, but multiple is ridiculous.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Ramien casts gaze north
Jesse Ramien flew to Townsville to meet with the Cowboys this week, with another meeting scheduled on the Central Coast in the next 48 hours.

The Cowboys travel to Newcastle for their clash against the Knights on Friday night, with the club expected to make a stopover to continue talks with Ramien.

As it stands, the Cowboys and the Bulldogs are the frontrunners for his signature.
[/URL]
I'd bet pennies to pounds the dogs will be the preference after yesterdays efforts

Unless of course he's a masochist

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Deal was to be inked on Thursday gone.
If there is a get out clause, I’m sure it would be used after the train wreck yesterday.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Still can't get my head around the fact we let Rhyse Martin walk to the ESL without offering a contract. I know Welch has just done another ACL but a two-year-deal wouldn't hurt. We really need a strike forward to liven us up a little...

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Still can't get my head around the fact we let Rhyse Martin walk to the ESL without offering a contract. I know Welch has just done another ACL but a two-year-deal wouldn't hurt. We really need a strike forward to liven us up a little...
Why would you throw Rhys Martin a contract when you can have Coops for another year??.......

queenslander66

Junior
Reaction score
Surely if Val doesn't sign, that seals Paul Green's future at the Cowboys.

https://www.zerotackle.com/holmes-planning-to-extend-stay-in-new-york-47754/

Holmes planning to extend stay in New York

NRL clubs are hopeful former rugby league star Valentine Holmes will make a return to Australia next season, although his latest decision won’t fill them with much confidence.
Holmes’ partner Natalia will fly over to the US in just a matter of hours, and is set to look for a permanent place to live alongside Valentine, as the pair look to stay for the long haul.
Holmes has a pre-season contract with the New York Jets in the NFL, and is hoping he’ll be able to make the 53-man regular season roster, which will be announced on September 1.
The former Shark is confident he’ll be in the US for the foreseeable future, with his manager making a statement to the Daily Telegraph.
“He doesn’t think he’ll be coming back soon, so Natalia is heading over to look at properties to stay,’’ Holmes’s agent Gavin Orr said.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Maybe he was seen as not a good fit.