Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I’m hearing there has been a handshake deal done with Ramien. Will advise when I hear more.
Is this genuine or as he was leaving Parrs office, did someone see them shaking hands.
Big difference between shaking on a deal & cordially shaking hands to say thanks for showing me around

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In related news, I'm hearing that up to 34 fans with limited playing experience have handshake deals with Peter Parr at the Thursday night derby after-game function at the league's club

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
24hrs later, haven’t heard any more - sorry.
Will advise when I hear.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ramien casts gaze north
Jesse Ramien flew to Townsville to meet with the Cowboys this week, with another meeting scheduled on the Central Coast in the next 48 hours.

The Cowboys travel to Newcastle for their clash against the Knights on Friday night, with the club expected to make a stopover to continue talks with Ramien.

As it stands, the Cowboys and the Bulldogs are the frontrunners for his signature.

The Sharks probably don’t have the salary cap space in 2020 to have a red-hot crack at luring him back to the club he left last year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/15/storm-surprised-no-ban-for-nelson-but-deny-using-grubby-tactics/

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Ramien casts gaze north
Jesse Ramien flew to Townsville to meet with the Cowboys this week, with another meeting scheduled on the Central Coast in the next 48 hours.

The Cowboys travel to Newcastle for their clash against the Knights on Friday night, with the club expected to make a stopover to continue talks with Ramien.

As it stands, the Cowboys and the Bulldogs are the frontrunners for his signature.

The Sharks probably don’t have the salary cap space in 2020 to have a red-hot crack at luring him back to the club he left last year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/15/storm-surprised-no-ban-for-nelson-but-deny-using-grubby-tactics/
Lets bring him in. A player with form issues to a club with form issues who would be moving 1000km from family he allegedly wanted to be closer to. He'll fit right in.

While we are there, lets bury Tuala and our other young outside backs even further.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Lets bring him in. A player with form issues to a club with form issues who would be moving 1000km from family he allegedly wanted to be closer to. He'll fit right in.

While we are there, lets bury Tuala and our other young outside backs even further.
Ramien is a gun. Glad the club is doing everything it can to get him to Townsville.

Ratman

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Tuala wont be at the club next year from what i heard.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Ramien is a gun. Glad the club is doing everything it can to get him to Townsville.
Not really worried about him coming. Just the attempts to throw imports at a problem that won't be fixed that way. His form issues won't be resolved playing under the current regime.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed Tuala hasn't really shown much since he's been in first grade but I still don't want to see him go.

Whose the last decent back to come through our system? Ponga and maybe Feldt before that? We don't really have a good strike rate this decade after being quite blessed in that department in the 0000's

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed Tuala hasn't really shown much since he's been in first grade but I still don't want to see him go.

Whose the last decent back to come through our system? Ponga and maybe Feldt before that? We don't really have a good strike rate this decade after being quite blessed in that department in the 0000's
As he started to come good he got dropped. He is also, still only 20.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
No. Unless they wanna trade Te Maire and Hampton for him.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Don't see how he would factor into our plans. He is damaged goods atm, tough to see many NRL clubs lining up for him

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
From the Courier Mail:

RAMIEN STILL ON COWS’ RADAR
THE Cowboys have ramped up their pursuit of unwanted Knights star Jesse Ramien.

Blindside can reveal the NSW Origin hopeful flew to Townsville in recent days to inspect the Cowboys set-up. Ramien met Cowboys coach Paul Green for talks and walked away highly impressed with North Queensland’s plans to use him a strike weapon.

Ramien has also toured three other clubs, the Tigers, Bulldogs and Sharks. He will finalise his future next week but the Cowboys are a genuine contender as they have the salary cap space to table a competitive offer.

GRANVILLE ON THE OUTER
JAKE Granville
is fighting for his future at the Cowboys. Blindside understands the premiership-winning rake is no certainty to win a new contract when his current deal expires next year.

Granville turns 31 in February and while he has been a superb servant for the club, he has lost his zip in recent years. The Cowboys last week signed Dragons hooker Reece Robson and have another promising rake in Reuben Cotter coming through. Granville needs a bumper season in 2020 to remain a Cowboy.

https://outline.com/LdWddd

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Kurt Baptiste not offered a contract for next year. Given the green light to negotiate with other clubs.
Source: Townsville Bully

COWBOYS management have told utility Kurt Baptiste he is free to negotiate with other clubs with the hooker not offered a contract extension next season.

The rugby league journeyman played an important role for the Cowboys early in the season working in rotation with Jake Granville.

But an anterior cruciate ligament injury sustained while playing for his native Papua New Guinea during the NRL’s representative round cruelled Baptiste of any further football this season.

With the arrival of Junior Kangaroos hooker Reece Robson next season, and the expected retention of Mackay product Reuben Cotter, the Cowboys had to make the tough call on Baptiste.

Cowboys director of football Peter Parr praised Baptiste for his service in his time at the club and expected the hooker to land on his feet.

“Kurt is a very good player, and it is a shame his time here was cut short with his ACL injury,” Parr said.

“We are at a stage where we are going to have to make some tough decisions, it is never nice having these conversations with players.

“He is a very good bloke. He contributes in a lot of ways to the club not just on the field. He is a very hard worker, he is diligent in his preparation and I would expect some interest in him.”

Robson will join the club on a four-year deal starting next season, while premiership-winning rake Granville is contracted until the end of the 2021 season.

Cotter, who made his NRL debut earlier this season, is off contract at the end of this year, but Parr suggested the club was keen to keep the 20-year-old on their books.

Cotter will return to action for the Cowboys in Saturday’s clash with Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium and said the expected arrival of Robson only pushed him to finish the season strongly.

“I am very excited, it has been a few weeks now since I had that last crack and it should be a tough game down there,” he said.

“Once you see something like (Robson’s signing), it just wants to push you even more. I am not too sure about him, but from what I have heard he is a good player and a good bloke. It just pushes me to go harder.

“That is the goal, to finish the season in the top squad. The more experience I get for this year, it will help me make myself available for next year.”

Cotter only got 11 minutes in his debut against the Sea Eagles, and almost made an immediate impact with a game turning try before it was taken off him by the video referee.

He has bided his time back in the Queensland Cup with the Mackay Cutters, and said he was ready to re-inject himself off the bench.

“(I want to bring) energy off the bench, that is always good for any team. Energy and impact off the bench, and if I can get my running game into it and my defensive game, I will be happy,” he said.