Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
he’s on roughly $750k the next 2 years, this $1.5mil ‘upgrade’ means he’s asking for a 100% pay rise.....lol
Not to mention he has a contract with Fox and Nike (and various other TPA's)

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Just heard Buzz say "he's currently on unders, about $500k a season". Thanks Buzz.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I think he’s possibly the most overrated player for a long time. Is he a good player? Of course. He’s doing good. But the way they wax lyrical about him like he is as good as the best fullbacks in the comp is just cringeworthy. He’s not in the same league as Tedesco and RTS.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Turpin re-signed with the Broncos, he would've been a good pickup for us.

Hope Greeny keeps Cotter in the mix.
Turpin is a deadset spud.
We don’t need him.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think he’s possibly the most overrated player for a long time. Is he a good player? Of course. He’s doing good. But the way they wax lyrical about him like he is as good as the best fullbacks in the comp is just cringeworthy. He’s not in the same league as Tedesco and RTS.
Tom Trbo is ahead of him as well.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They're wanting him paid on his potential. In five years time he'll be the best fullback (and possibly the best player) in the game, just not today. Teddy, RTS and Turbo are better and not one of those guys are even worth 1.5 million.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Would be pretty funny if Ponga slows down. I don't think he's got great top end pace anyway and a lot of his game is based on his natural athleticism. He reminds me more of Benji rather then guys like Tedesco and RTS who are blocks of fast twitch muscle. They're more like sprinters in a lot of ways. They could gain even more muscle and it wouldn't hinder them imo. Both have been able to come back from serious leg injuries and haven't lost even a hint of a step.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Here's the link to Hoffman, although it's tenuous at best. Just said he's off contract and could return to Queensland, so of course we get a mention.

Parramatta have tabled an offer to keep Josh Hoffman, but they may have a fight on their hands.

The versatile outside back has played 10 games and scored five tries this season, as the Eels have shot up the ladder to occupy sixth spot.

Hoffman has often found himself playing at centre this year and despite the Eels’ rising stock, he is said to be tempted to return home to Queensland.

His former club, the Broncos, are well-stocked in the outside backs, while the Cowboys have a number of players off contract.

The Titans would perhaps be the most likely of destinations given the under-fire roster is lacking experience, especially in the outside backs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-market-scout-api-koroisaus-15m-decision-eels-fight-to-keep-veteran-injured-storm-stars-2020-pay-secured/news-story/9646557494c2989ac4a7962f515128d9
Average, 32-year old outside back. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if we signed him and Green starts him at centre Round 1 2020.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
32?! Jeez didn't realise he was that old. Was going to say he'd be a slight upgrade over Bowen but at that age it could only be the worst ahead for Hoffman

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
32?! Jeez didn't realise he was that old. Was going to say he'd be a slight upgrade over Bowen but at that age it could only be the worst ahead for Hoffman

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They're wanting him paid on his potential. In five years time he'll be the best fullback (and possibly the best player) in the game, just not today. Teddy, RTS and Turbo are better and not one of those guys are even worth 1.5 million.
And yet he potentially won’t even be an NRL player in 5 years time.

Say he gets his contract upgraded to 1.5mill for the next two years, imagine what he wants when he’s actually coming OFF contract.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I don't rate Ponga. Never have. One of the reasons is he hasn't "filtered through" like other star players.

What I mean by that is that I only watch Cowboys games and usually just watch the highlights of the other games each round. I've never spotted Ponga doing anything wondrous. In fact he's consistently a non-event. That doesn't mean he's no good, just that he's no stand-out either. Players like Tedesco and Widdop have "filtered through". I constantly see them doing great things both in the highlights and when I get to watch them play against us.
Another indicator is that, when great players get their hands on the ball, the pace of the game changes and possibilities are palpably felt. Ponga is invariably lacking in that regard.

Ponga has one thing, well, two if you count the fleeting moment that is youth; Ponga has been gifted with an elephant's skull instead of a pelvis. He thrusts his hip out and the rest of his skinny body is centrifugally catapulted two feet to the right, thus avoiding the defender. That's got another season in it, tops.

Add the Putin-like nutcase that his old man seems to be and we're well rid of him.

Should have bloody-well used him while he was here, though, Paul Green, you f***ing peanut!

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
North Queensland Cowboys leaving salary cap space open for former Sharks star Valentine Holmes
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-league/north-queensland-cowboys-leaving-salary-cap-space-open-for-former-sharks-star-valentine-holmes/ar-AAFsIlw?li=BBU4PL8&ocid=mailsignout

Despite struggling the past two seasons and the Ben Barba gamble failing to pay off, the North Queensland Cowboys are hedging their bets and keeping salary cap space open for Valentine Holmes.

The former Cronulla Sharks, Queensland Maroons and Australian superstar is currently embarking on a journey in the US as he tries to make a career in the NFL with the New York Jets.

Holmes will debut this week in a practice match and while he is not expected to make the final 53-man roster, he will be on the practice roster for the Jets as part of the International Pathways Program.

And while he has ruled out a return to the NRL for the time being as he chases his dream,The Courier Mail's Pete Badel says the Cowboys are hoping he changes his mind as they look to turn their current misfortune around.

"If he doesn't make the cut, I'm told the Cowboys are keeping their salary cap powder dry," he said.

"They have $900,000 set aside in the cap to sign Valentine Holmes from next season on a five-year deal if things don't work out for him.

"The next month to six weeks are crucial, and he's not expected to make the 53-man roster and will have to do something special to get into the squad.

"By the end of the NFL season if Valentine Holmes doesn't cut it by then, don't be surprised if he is at the Cowboys for pre-season early next year.

"The Cowboys need a backline star, they have the money and Val Holmes is the man."

It is a massive gamble for the Cowboys to essentially hedge their bets on the 24-year old failing in his pursuit of a new career, and if it backfires they could end up looking very silly in 2020.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Looks like we may not be signing anyone soon

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.
I thought there was a story on the news the other night about how good he was going for the jets.
Dlocks is right, we need a complete cleanout, starting at the top.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.