Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Jersey Range

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cowboys 2019 Indigenous Jersey revealed
Cowboys.com.au
Wed 13 Feb 2019, 02:30 PM

Indigenous culture will once again be embodied in the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys Indigenous Jersey with a design titled ‘same but different’ by winning artist Beau Pennefather Motlop from Cairns.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists were invited to submit their artwork depicting the Indigenous cultures to the Cowboys 2019 Indigenous Jersey Design Competition.

Feeling “extremely proud and lucky” to win the competition, Beau explained the meaning behind his unique design.

“I wanted to let people know that although Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people have very different cultures we are all the same; Indigenous Australians,” Beau said.

The exclusive jersey goes on sale today and shows the Torres Strait headdress and the Aboriginal shield in the design, elements that both represent courage.

Beau believes that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture should be represented in all aspects of Australian life.

“It is one of the ways we are able to keep our culture alive,” Beau said.

The jersey will be worn by the playing squad in the Round 11 (May 25) away game against the Raiders, when the NRL celebrates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures in its annual Indigenous Round.

“I’m very excited to see my artwork created at home to be displayed on a national level. It's like the field becomes an art gallery,” Beau said.

The Cowboys Indigenous jersey exclusively features the Cowboys Community Foundation branding in the sternum position, thanks to a generous donation by major partner Diageo Australia.

Diageo Australia Marketing and Innovation Director Adam Ballesty said the company was proud to be able to support the Foundation and their invaluable work in supporting the Indigenous community in North Queensland.

“We saw it as an opportunity to promote the important work the Cowboys are doing in collaboration with Aboriginal and Torres Strait communities, and foster greater awareness about the newly established Cowboys Community Foundation,” Adam said.

The Cowboys Community Foundation’s mandate is to improve employment, health and social outcomes for young North Queenslanders through education-based programs.

Behind the jersey design
The winning design by Beau represents:
  • Courage: The Torres Strait head dress and the Aboriginal shield represent courage. Our ancestor warriors would need immeasurable amounts of courage to fight battles with neighbouring tribes and during colonisation.
  • Integrity: The two hands, one black, one white, represent integrity and honesty. They are also a representation of unity and equality. When you swear an oath on a bible and state to tell the truth, you put one hand up.
  • Committed: The Torres Strait drum and Aboriginal didgeridoo represent our commitment to keeping our culture alive through traditional dance and music, as well as sharing our culture.
  • Unity: The circle dot patterns represent meeting places. The U-Shapes surrounding them represent people meeting in unity.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
i rate it, best jersey for us thus far in 2019, well done to the club.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
It’s a good indigenous jersey. Just hope next year they get the home jersey (1995) right also.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Best looking Indigenous jersey yet. Except line art/painting is the local tradition (dad's an Indigenous artist and mum was for a short while). Dot art/ painting is from Central Australia IIRC.

stevealbertqld

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Our best indigenous jersey was still our first one (2010??), the home jersey done up with dot art. That was awesome.

Vinno

Junior
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time lurker (young guns days) & if i did post it was likely complaints about the late great Graham Murray leaving Brenton Bowen out of the team.

So i submitted some ideas to the club for the 2020 jerseys a few days ago, using real basic graphics. I know there has been a push for the return of the 95 strip, but i tried to go for something that honoured the original but had its own identity for the new stadium era...

Anyway i was informed that the club had already signed off on the new designs by ISC, but thanks for my suggestions below

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Can we all pray that the 2020 jersey designs signed off on, include a 1995 jersey-inspired strip?

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Let's just go back to our 2015 strip. Make them feel like winners again.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Thank god the current designs tenure is coming to an end. Easily our worst design ever. I hate that we change our jersey design every couple of years. Wish we had a set and forget traditional jersey like the AFL, instead of these gimmicky cash grabs.