Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Hastings Deering Colts (U20) thread

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 9 results
Western Mustangs 23
(Austin Jennings 2, Jordan Lipp, Liam Short tries; Sam Thompson 3 goals, 1 field goal) def. Townsville 22 (Wiremu Greig, Tom McCagh, Johnathan Smith, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow tries; Adam Cook 3 goals).

Mackay 30 (Rayden Burns 2, Aidan Beard, Tom Irelandes, Blake Paskins, Garrett Smith tries; Brendan White 3 goals) def. Northern Pride 18 (Jai Doherty, Heilum Luki, Jonah Rameka tries; Beau Berg, Jai Doherty, Brandon Jackonia goals).

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 10 results
Mackay 20
(Sean Dalton, Garrett Smith, Mason Thorpe tries; Brendan White 4 goals) def. Norths Devils 19 (Sosefo Filipine, Micah Marsh, Reed Young tries; Josh James 3 goals, field goal).

Burleigh 32 (Cameron Brown, Jayden Campbell, Shallin Fuller, Jaxson Paulo, Kea Pere, Taine Tuaupiki tries; Jayden Campbell 3, Lochlan Turnbull goals) def. Northern Pride 10 (Ryan Flegler, Tai Namaibai tries; Brandon Jackonia goal).

Sunshine Coast 22 (Steven Borg, Nick Ellems, Justin Makirere, Tyson Smoothy tries; Tyson Smoothy 3 goals) def. Townsville 18 (Tom McCagh, Jamaine Gillin, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow tries; Adam Cook goal).

Big win for Mackay knocking off a strong Norths team. Garrett Smith grabbed his 4th try of the year. Second straight loss for the Pride to a very good Burleigh side. Heilum Luki started at second row for the first time. Second straight loss for the Blackhawks as well. Hamiso scored again, his 5th try in 3 games. Vaughn Kim made his Colts debut off the bench. Don't know if he's contracted but Steve Price's son Riley made his debut for Townsville as well. 18-year old lock who played for the Sunshine Coast the past two seasons.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
How many Cowboys contracted kids are playing in the schoolboys comp in Roma?
Hamiso came off this afternoons game with an ankle complaint (after effortlessly chasing down another player). The games are streamed live on the QLD schoolboys Facebook page.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
An also named in the QLD schoolboys side. Not a bad weekend for him.
Daniel Buckland selected as well, who is contracted to us. Isaiah Vailalo was another Northern player selected who was in our academy and may still be with us. Not 100% sure.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
“Tabuai-Fidow was in scintillating form for Cowboys feeder club the Townsville Blackhawks during their Mal Meninga Cup (under 18s) campaign.

Playing under the guidance of Blackhawks coach Matthew Bowen, Tabuai-Fidow scored 13 tries in just six games, including four alone in the Blackhawks’ final outing against the Redcliffe Dolphins.

The Cairns-bred fullback also averaged a monstrous 240-running metres and seven tackle breaks a game.

Tabuai-Fidow has since graduated to the Hastings Deering Colts with the Blackhawks and has continued to wreak havoc despite playing up an age division.

In three under 20s appearances, Tabuai-Fidow has scored five tries, assisted on two more and is averaging just shy of 150 running metres a game.”

Those MM Cup numbers are insane.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coach Kurt Richards confirmed the positions for the side. Hamiso starts at fullback.

Queensland Under 18 team in position
QRL Media
Wed 29 May 2019, 04:32 PM

Queensland Under 18 coach Kurt Richards has placed his players in positions for their clash with New South Wales at Suncorp Stadium on June 5.
The team - made up of players from nine clubs from the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition - will enter camp tomorrow as preparations for the interstate game begin.

"I'm really excited to get into camp and come together as a team," Richards said, adding the team had "a good mix of youth" and players who had Intrust Super Cup experience.

"We have a strong side picked in Queensland every year that is capable of beating New South Wales."

The young guns will have a run against the Queensland Maroons on Friday before playing in the game before the Holden State of Origin series opener.

"It'll be a big occasion," Richards said.

"They will be representing themselves, their clubs, their families and the state."

Richards said it was up to him and the rest of the staff to prepare them adequately "to get the job done".

Queensland Under 18 team
1. Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow
2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira
3. Reece Hoffman
4. Fanitesi Niu
5. Xavier Coates
6. Joshua James
7. Sam Walker
8. Jack Martin
9. Jake Simpkin
10.Tristan Powell
11. Brendan Piakura
12.Trent Loiero
13. Juwan Compain

Bench
14. Reece Walsh
15. Jack Howarth
16. Carsil Vaikai
17. Harrison Graham
18. Toby Sexton

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/05/29/queensland-under-18-team-in-position/

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hopefully we can catch a stream, I know they streamed u20s last year

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah it'll be streamed for sure. 20s/18s/16s have been streamed for a few years now.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder now that Dearden has got a run very early on with the Broncos, whether Sam Walker will consider shifting to another club?

Walker is an incredibly good half and I don't think he will want to be stuck behind an 18 year old!

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Coach Kurt Richards confirmed the positions for the side. Hamiso starts at fullback.

Queensland Under 18 team in position
QRL Media
Wed 29 May 2019, 04:32 PM

Queensland Under 18 coach Kurt Richards has placed his players in positions for their clash with New South Wales at Suncorp Stadium on June 5.
The team - made up of players from nine clubs from the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition - will enter camp tomorrow as preparations for the interstate game begin.

"I'm really excited to get into camp and come together as a team," Richards said, adding the team had "a good mix of youth" and players who had Intrust Super Cup experience.

"We have a strong side picked in Queensland every year that is capable of beating New South Wales."

The young guns will have a run against the Queensland Maroons on Friday before playing in the game before the Holden State of Origin series opener.

"It'll be a big occasion," Richards said.

"They will be representing themselves, their clubs, their families and the state."

Richards said it was up to him and the rest of the staff to prepare them adequately "to get the job done".

Queensland Under 18 team
1. Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow
2. Alofiana Khan-Pereira
3. Reece Hoffman
4. Fanitesi Niu
5. Xavier Coates
6. Joshua James
7. Sam Walker
8. Jack Martin
9. Jake Simpkin
10.Tristan Powell
11. Brendan Piakura
12.Trent Loiero
13. Juwan Compain

Bench
14. Reece Walsh
15. Jack Howarth
16. Carsil Vaikai
17. Harrison Graham
18. Toby Sexton

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/05/29/queensland-under-18-team-in-position/
"A good mix of youth and..."

Isn't it an U18 side?

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder now that Dearden has got a run very early on with the Broncos, whether Sam Walker will consider shifting to another club?

Walker is an incredibly good half and I don't think he will want to be stuck behind an 18 year old!
Stop reading the press Walker ain’t that good.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Stop reading the press Walker ain’t that good.
I will agree, his surname has pumped his tyres up a little. But IMO he will be a good first grade half.

I mostly watch players in the GPS rugby in Brisbane which is where I first saw Hamiso two years ago. Walker played fullback at IGS last year as a 15 yo and he was a step above. I must admit, I have not seen him play league other than last weekends schoolboys trials. Still very young and will have to put some size on, but I can see a future in the NRL for him (provided that's what he wants and has the necessary drive to make it).

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Good points.
I’ve seen him at league carnivals when he was 12 and again last week. I thought he was disappointing in Met west v Northern game on Saturday, which was great as I was all in on Northern.
He’s only a kid, so a long way to go. He may end up an outstanding NRL halfback. Good luck to him.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 12 results
Mackay 26
(Luke Pearce 2, Tom Irelandes, Brendan White tries; Brendan White 5 goals) def. Ipswich 0.

Northern Pride 8 (Brandon Jackonia try; Benn Campagnolo 2 goals) def. Easts Tigers 6 (Anthony Itiri try; Trent Wedding goal).

Townsville 34 (Jack Althaus, Brodie Chaffey, Curtis Dempsey, Wiremu Greig, Griffin Neame tries; Adam Cook 7 goals) def. Wynnum Manly 4 (Jalen Tangiiti-Turner try).

Blackhawks are in 3rd, Pride move back into fourth. Cutters have now won four in a row and are into the top 8. Tries to contracted Cowboys Griffin Neame and Wiremu Greig, his seventh of the year.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Good to see Grieg rewarded with a QCUP game this weekend.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He had a great debut against Redcliffe a few weeks ago.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 13 results
Mackay 40
(Sean Dalton, Tom Irelandes, Ryan Molloy, Blake Paskins, Ryan Schill, Josh Smith, Brendan White tries; Brendan White 6 goals) def. Western Mustangs 6 (Jordan Lipp try; Sam Thompson goal).

CQ Capras 16 (Ryan Franks 2, James Busby tries; Travis Turnbull 2 goals) def. Northern Pride 8 (Brandon Jackonia 2 tries).

Townsville 44 (Adam Cook 2, Jack Althaus, Michael Bell, Ben Condon, Ty Everett, Zinzaan Martin, Riley Price tries; Adam Cook 6 goals) def. Souths Logan 12 (Edward Downing-Brown 2 tries; Leevai Sutton 2 goals).

Mackay are on fire, five straight wins and are now in the top 8. Townsville are still third, one point off first. Cowboys contracted centre Michael Bell has 9 tries for the year.

Every team has a bye in Round 14.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 15 results
Townsville 36
(Wiremu Greig 2, Daejarn Asi, Nathan Barrett, Jack Johnson, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow tries; Adam Cook 6 goals) def. Tweed Heads 10 (Callum Boomer, Jaylan To'o tries; Callum Boomer goal).

Fourth straight win for Townsville. All but one try scored by a Cowboys contracted player. Wiremu Greig now has 9 tries from 11 games.

Last edited: