Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2019 Cowboys in Rep teams

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
A thread for discussion of Cowboys players connected to upcoming representative fixtures.

CM has the below this morning
https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/john-asiata-on-verge-of-surprise-nsw-selection-nrl-players-using-a-horse-racing-product/news-story/a80aed16b362e16b9fc0dd00fd48b975?fbclid=IwAR0aTYK_xe9rzwQYeE9duhH2ilY1BBqiATgHSapIux3CoaS4ojr-BihucCw

ASIATA SET FOR BLUES SURPRISE

HE’S the 110kg, ball-playing, fleet-footed bolt from the Blue.

NSW coach Brad Fittler and the Blues’ State of Origin selectors are on the verge of causing a shock, with North Queensland Cowboys utility John Asiata earmarked for a spot on the Blues’ bench.

Despite not even being publicly mentioned as a contender in a long list of bolters that includes Clint Gutherson, Payne Haas, and Tevita Pangai Jr, the Cowboys’ Mr Can-do-it-all and Samoan international was earmarked as the utility at the Blues’ last selection meeting.

In a planning decision that they have managed to keep a secret for almost three weeks, the NSW coaching hierarchy agreed that Asiata was leading the list of contenders for the all-important utility spot on the bench. The wrecking ball is regarded as one of the most skilful forwards in the NRL.

While he has mostly run out as a prop for North Queensland, he has also played NRL in the halves — substituting for an injured Johnathan Thurston in a 2017 match against St George Illawarra .

Out of sight and out of mind for most NSW fans since joining the Cowboys, the Parramatta and Sydney Roosters junior’s versatility and form have not gone unnoticed by Fittler and his coaching team — which includes Danny Buderus, Craig Fitzgibbon and Greg Alexander.

Asiata has consistently been one of the Cowboys’ best this year and the 26-year-old was a star during Jason Taumalolo’s recent stint on the injured list.

Binky

Junior
Reaction score
If anyone deserves it it is him, has been one of our best but man it will suck to see him in a blue Jersey.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Wow, talk about pulling a rabbit from out of their hat. Would be great for Johnny, but not so much for us as he comes off contract at the end of next season. Would add quite a bit of value to his contract you’d imagine..

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
This was from a few days ago; Freddy responding to the Tele:

The Daily Telegraph is also reporting Fittler is looking at pulling a selection shock and naming Cowboys forward John Asiata as a utility.

However, he confirmed a few injuries would need to happen for the Parramatta junior to be considered.

“He’s a wonderful footy player. He’s got so much footy in him. I think the way they use him at the moment with Taumalolo and giving him the passing and distributing through the middle,” Fittler said.

“He’d need a bit of luck in terms of an injury or two. They’re not going that great, the Cowboys. Given the players they’ve got I don’t think they’re living up to expectation. But he’s a really good footy player.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/teams/new-south-wales/fittler-responds-to-bennetts-blues-advice-says-he-doesnt-have-best-will-for-nsw/news-story/bd82e6271164ac980dd2c55c959d09f8

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/cowboys-veteran-gavin-cooper-keen-for-maroons-origin-callup/news-story/160413b5857a9e0ead4f5021de379fa1

Cowboys veteran Gavin Cooper keen for Maroons Origin call-up

COWBOYS veteran Gavin Cooper has declared he’s not ready to give up his Queensland Origin jersey, believing his experience and leadership could help the Maroons reclaim the shield.

Cooper will get one last chance to push his case for Origin selection against the Raiders in Canberra this weekend, with Queensland coach Kevin Walters set to reveal his team on Monday.

The 33-year-old backrower started all three games for the Maroons in last year’s series loss to New South Wales, but North Queensland’s inconsistent efforts this season have his spot under scrutiny.

Cooper hasn’t found a way to recapture last season’s prolific attacking form when he claimed nine tries in nine games for the Cowboys, but the 294-game workhorse remains one of the best defenders in the NRL.

The Maroons are facing a leadership void following the departure of a couple of all-time greats and Cooper said he would still love the chance to play in rugby league’s toughest arena.

“Everyone I’ve played with knows what I do for the team when I’m there. Hopefully I’ve done enough,” he said.

“We’ve been a bit up and down throughout the year (at the Cowboys). It’s been a challenging year, but what I bring to a team for the most part has been there consistently.

“I’ve spoken to him (Walters) a couple of times, but I don’t help pick the team either. If I picked the team I’d pick myself, but we’ll wait and see.

“If I haven’t (done enough) I’ll just get back and do what I do for the Cowboys, but hopefully I’m there.”

The 13th-placed Cowboys found some form last weekend as they grinded out a 17-10 victory over the Parramatta Eels in Townsville to improve their record to four wins and six losses.

Cooper conceded the Cowboys had left themselves open to criticism with some of their performances, but he believed they were never far away from producing their best football.

“There still has been some good footy in there, it’s just people see it a little bit differently after a win,” he said.

“Everyone’s been very critical. There’s been some guys that have played some decent footy in this first part of the year. It’s just some little lapses and we’re ultimately judged on wins and losses.

“We still haven’t won two in a row yet so it’s something that we’re really focused on.”

Cooper felt poor defence had been North Queensland’s downfall in their losses this season and he said keeping the Raiders in check would be an important focus in Canberra on Saturday.

“In all our wins this year their (the opposition) score has been pretty low and in our losses we’ve let teams get out to 30 or 40 points. That’s not good enough,” Cooper said.

“When you have that effort consistently defensively you’re in most games.”

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coops has always had a knack for comedy

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It's the Season for Miracles as I have written. But if Coops makes it then I will be a Believer and join Sco Mo and his Pentacostals on Sunday.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
CK and I worked together in 2000 and are good mates, I’ll give him an offline spray.......

*edit, i actually read the article and I can’t see where he makes that claim, it’s more on the NQ media team making the ‘first since 2012’ claim me thinks

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It just feels like such a waste when our players get selected for NSW..

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
CK and I worked together in 2000 and are good mates, I’ll give him an offline spray.......

*edit, i actually read the article and I can’t see where he makes that claim, it’s more on the NQ media team making the ‘first since 2012’ claim me thinks
I honestly just assumed it was our media team and not the reporter hahaha.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgan picked as centre. might be a game changer for the Cowboys if he adapts as well as I think. to me, at the moment, he looks more and more like a Centre too.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Morgan picked as centre. might be a game changer for the Cowboys if he adapts as well as I think. to me, at the moment, he looks more and more like a Centre too.
It’s a position he played a lot of junior footy in. No chance of him ever playing there for us though. You don’t pay 1mil a season to centres.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He has played Origin at centre before hasn't he? And played really well.

I remember him killing it there in 2017 in Game 3.

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He has played Origin at centre before two hasn't he? And played really well.

I remember him killing it there in 2017 in Game 3.
Yeah he came on for Chambers in Game 2 2017 and finished the game there. Set up Gagai's game winning try.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah he came on for Chambers in Game 2 2017 and finished the game there. Set up Gagai's game winning try.
Yes, he played like a very skillful ball playing centre, not the Chambers bash through style.