Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2018 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Just about the first useful thing to come out of our media department in about two years. Good stuff.

Haz

Junior
Reaction score
So part 2 of the recruitment insights is up and parry pretty much saying baptiste will wear the 14 jersey. Where does that leave tmm and hampton? Hampton prob in the mix with oneill, tuala and opacic for a centre spot? Gonna be some decent intrust players getting around next year.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
So part 2 of the recruitment insights is up and parry pretty much saying baptiste will wear the 14 jersey. Where does that leave tmm and hampton? Hampton prob in the mix with oneill, tuala and opacic for a centre spot? Gonna be some decent intrust players getting around next year.

I really don't know what will happen with Hampton now. I honestly think he's too small to be a centre on a regular basis.

I'm also a really sceptical hippo on this whole Peter Parr director of football thing. Whose call is it for Baptiste to wear the 14? Parr or Green? I'm concerned toes are going to be stepped on and it's going to end badly.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hampton is just not physically big enough to be a starting centre. He was man handled in that game at leichardt this year, he is simply a bench hooker and emergency back cover if needed during a game.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I personally think it's time Granville started playing close to 80 mins or we should be looking else where. For me asiata is my bench utility.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I really don't know what will happen with Hampton now. I honestly think he's too small to be a centre on a regular basis.

Hampton is just not physically big enough to be a starting centre. He was man handled in that game at leichardt this year, he is simply a bench hooker and emergency back cover if needed during a game.
Sucks to be him now & during pre season. I thought he was good at fb & could of become our "Billy" but that horse has apparently bolted.
As stated there will be some good players in Qcup & truly if Juz gets a gig & doesn't score 2 tries in the first 3 games, I will totally lose my $hit

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
At this point in time, I like him at centre over O'niel. Grannville has to step up his game this year, Baptise offers good service but from what ive seen in his games in the past, no real speed out of the ruck like Granville was back in 2015. Someone suggested Hampton to start at number 9 a while back, won't happen with Jake re-signing but I now see Hampton having more potential in the side than either of our hooking options and O'niel. Green better get his shit right and pick the right team early on otherwise it could be another painful season

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I personally think it's time Granville started playing close to 80 mins or we should be looking else where. For me asiata is my bench utility.
I am of the belief we are going to be looking elsewhere for a 9 soon anyway. Can't see Granville holding down an NRL spot for much longer considering the deterioration of his running game.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I am of the belief we are going to be looking elsewhere for a 9 soon anyway. Can't see Granville holding down an NRL spot for much longer considering the deterioration of his running game.
The club re-signed him in May til the end of 2021. He is Greenys ‘boy’ mate, other than injury I don’t see him getting dropped. Which sucks, because he has regressed deluxe since ‘15-‘16. His strong point as you said, was always his running game. Without that, he doesn’t provide much in the attack due to his piss poor pass. Watching him in the warm up closely on the GC throwing balls to Bear and Thumper this year. he lookedlike the kid at school that could run fast but was pretty unco.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
It likely won't happen, but I wonder if we would benefit as a team (depending on how Greeny has the team structured next season) from Baptiste starting and Jake coming off the bench to tear through a tired middle third. His running game is undoubtedly his greatest asset and maybe that is the way to best utilise it.

I really think we need solid service from dummy half to give the halves time and space to thrive next season and Jakey has shown that he is not up to par on many occasions. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and think he can definitely contribute to a winning season, but perhaps it's time to switch up his role.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The club re-signed him in May til the end of 2021. He is Greenys ‘boy’ mate, other than injury I don’t see him getting dropped. Which sucks, because he has regressed deluxe since ‘15-‘16. His strong point as you said, was always his running game. Without that, he doesn’t provide much in the attack due to his piss poor pass. Watching him in the warm up closely on the GC throwing balls to Bear and Thumper this year. he lookedlike the kid at school that could run fast but was pretty unco.
Green has had to make some tough calls recently, I see the signing of Baptiste as a warning sign for Granville. I think he can pull the trigger if Jake doesn't show an improvement in form this season, it's just the matter of finding the right signing.

Granville's not on the kind of money that would make the club balk at sitting him in reserves if need be.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
After reading the last few posts, I expect Jake to have killer 2019

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
After reading the last few posts, I expect Jake to have killer 2019
Well let's hope in the off season he works on his passing and running game. Both have gone missing.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I believe there's many more a player than just Jake who needs to pull their finger out of their bum after a piss weak 2018 season. Still dirty we sent out JT a loser in a year where we had our best ever team on paper and were overwhelming favourites.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was great but not as bad as some think, Beavs. We struggled in the forwards and he needs our forwards eating metres to do his thing.

The whole playing roster was down last year, and I expect them all to lift in 2019.

CairnsCow

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Jake Granville v3.

It is a new team, such a different team to last year, a shift in the core, new halfback, new fullback .. and it will be the combinations that Granville forms with them and the forwards that will determine the outcome.

We also have to remember with Granville that the game shifted too in 2018, all the penalties slow down, stop start. 2017 we went to the Grand Final.
For the Cows they need to capitalise to show Granville's strengths. The forwards need to roll, and off load more.

Status
Not open for further replies.