Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2018 Recruitment and Retention Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
This 2019 backline is a bit of a mystery. New recruits and a new, young half. Could be brilliant or could be poor.

Cowboy Benny Barba
MacDonald
O'Neill
Opacic
Taulagi
Morgan
Clifford

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
This 2019 backline is a bit of a mystery. New recruits and a new, young half. Could be brilliant or could be poor.

Cowboy Benny Barba
MacDonald
O'Neill
Opacic
Taulagi
Morgan
Clifford
No way the next in line to the thrown, His Royal Highness Duke of the Hill of Castle Kyle Feldt misses out over the likes of Juzzy or Taulagi.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Many fans make the same mistake when analysing players. Focusing purely on attack and ignoring defensive liabilities. FFE/FFS spent three years pointing out Matty Bowen's weaknesses. Many folks on here were living in the past and purely focusing on attacking ability.

Matty goes (immediately after Neil Henry is told he won't be coach next year and BEFORE Green in appointed) in 2013. We win our first trophy (nines) in 2014 and first premiership in 2015.

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Many fans make the same mistake when analysing players. Focusing purely on attack and ignoring defensive liabilities. FFE/FFS spent three years pointing out Matty Bowen's weaknesses. Many folks on here were living in the past and purely focusing on attacking ability.

Matty goes (immediately after Neil Henry is told he won't be coach next year and BEFORE Green in appointed) in 2013. We win our first trophy (nines) in 2014 and first premiership in 2015.
We all know this is pure trolling from FFS

But you should know that correlation does not imply causation.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Holmes in no hurry for Test No.1 - or to resolve club future

"It is obviously a massive decision for me and my family and for my future so I don’t want to rush into a decision.

"You have got to set yourself up, you are not in this game forever so you have got to make the most of it and then it obviously comes down to family.

"I have got family back home, my partner has family back home and she is getting a bit homesick but then you have got to look after yourself future wise with money so it is going to be a hard decision."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/13/valentine-holmes-in-no-hurry-for-test-fullback-role---or-to-resolve-future/

Last edited:

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Holmes in no hurry for Test No.1 - or to resolve club future

"It is obviously a massive decision for me and my family and for my future so I don’t want to rush into a decision.

"You have got to set yourself up, you are not in this game forever so you have got to make the most of it and then it obviously comes down to family.

"I have got family back home, my partner has family back home and she is getting a bit homesick but then you have got to look after yourself future wise with money so it is going to be a hard decision."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/13/valentine-holmes-in-no-hurry-for-test-fullback-role---or-to-resolve-future/
Desperately wants to go home, but also wants the Cowbs to pay him comparable money...which is fair enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Desperately wants to go home, but also wants the Cowbs to pay him comparable money...which is fair enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I wonder if we could have cowboy Benny Barba and Holmes in the same side?

I notice that we have a lot of players coming off contract at the end of 2019. Scott, Hess, Hampton, Martin, Cooper, Bolton etc. Not sure what the current situation with O'Neill and Lowe is.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Some interesting info in here about contract/squad rules. Being able to use development players after June 30 is a good change.

NRL relaxes contracting rules for 2019
BRENT READ OCTOBER 12, 2018

The NRL and the players’ union have listened to frustrated clubs and recruitment managers and will relax their rules on access to development players next season.

Clubs were told this week that they would have carte blanche to use their development players in 2019 once the June 30 deadline for player movement had passed.

That removes one of the chief bugbears for coaches on the contracting system, which underwent an overhaul last season.

Under changes that came into effect this year, clubs are restricted from using development players (each club is allowed up to six players outside their top 30 with a view to the future) unless they received special dispensation from the NRL.

That dispensation was given only in exceptional circumstances and meant a handful of players were prevented from playing first grade at times during the year.

Manly hooker Manase Fainu was among those prevented from making his debut but he got his opportunity when the Sea Eagles’ playing stocks hit rock bottom.

The NRL has agreed to relax those rules after the June 30 deadline. The NRL and Rugby League Players Association have also agreed with clubs that they must publicise their squads in 2019.

Under the new rules, each club must announce 24 players by November 1. They then have until March 1 to settle on a top squad of 29 players before announcing their final top 30 squad on June 30.

The Tigers have already announced 28 players as well as four development players for next season.

Other NRL clubs will fall into line in coming weeks.

Most interest will focus on the likes of Parramatta, who continue to juggle their player roster with a view to next year.

The Eels have made it clear that halves Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman are free to leave if they can find other clubs to play for.

The club is also set to resume talks with Jarryd Hayne as they look to keep the cross-code star at the club next season.

Meanwhile, the RLPA has held a summit involving some of the biggest names from the Pasifika nations as they attempt to gain a greater appreciation of the challenges for the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Cook Islands, and an understanding of where those nations see their place in international rugby league.

The RLPA is also intent on improving the minimum standards and support for Pasifika sides in international rugby league so that the environments they enter with their national sides are not dissimilar to what they work with at NRL level.

Almost 50 per cent of players in the NRL are from Pasifika heritage and last year’s World Cup illustrated how important those nations are to the growth of the international game.

That fact has been reinforced in the lead-up to next week’s Test between Australia and Tonga, which was confirmed only after Kangaroos players took massive pay cuts to make the game pay its way.

https://outline.com/rwU9Rj

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

Cowboy Benny Barba
MacDonald
O'Neill
Opacic
Taulagi
Morgan
Clifford
you misspelled Feldt
He can sook it up a bit Feldty, but has to be there for those aerial tries........

Oh and all 55m penalty shots......
Considering Toyota are still our major sponsor, have to say
Still loving it

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The hardman sell: Taumalolo tempts Holmes to return to Townsville
14 October 2018 — 7:00pm

Jason Taumalolo has become the latest North Queensland superstar to try to convince Valentine Holmes to make the move back home to Townsville.

After Michael Morgan threw his support behind good mate Holmes joining the club from 2020, Taumalolo will no doubt do his best sales pitch when he crosses paths with the Kangaroos flyer in Auckland this week.

Tonga are the hottest ticket in town with Saturday's historic Test between the Kangaroos and Tonga a sell-out.

While the 25,000 fans cannot wait, the Cowboys only have to wait 16 more days before they can officially table Holmes a deal.

While Cronulla have reportedly tabled a five-year contract worth more than $4 million, Holmes said the decision was not all about the money but what was best for his family.

Michael Morgan, Taumalolo and Holmes would be the dream trio Cowboys officials would bank on delivering further success in the post-Johnathan Thurston era.

Taumalolo, who spent time with Holmes at Townsville's Kirwan State High, told Fairfax Media any team with the 23-year-old was a ''genuine premiership chance''.

"I'd love to see him there, he's a Townsville boy, and what he has been doing at the Sharks is nothing short of freakish,'' said the Tongan superstar.

"I'm sure North Queensland would love to have him back home.

"He's one of those players [Tonga will] need to try and contain because he can turn nothing into something. His speed and freakish ability to create line breaks, it's a huge weapon.''

Ben Barba has signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys in 2019 in a move widely seen as a stop-gap fullback solution until Holmes arrives.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-hardman-sell-taumalolo-tempts-holmes-to-return-to-townsville-20181013-p509hs.html

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I thought Val went to Iggy Park, not Kirwan?

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Lowe and O'Neill taking their player options has been confirmed by the club:

• October 16, 2018 9:22am
  • by STAFF WRITERS WITH AAP
ETHAN Lowe will remain at North Queensland in 2019 with the second-rower taking up an option to stay at the NRL club.

There had been some suggestion the 27-year-old remained unsigned headed into the pre-season, but the Cowboys confirmed to AAP on Monday he had made the decision to stay in Townsville.

Lowe was influential in last year’s run to the grand final, but spent nine weeks in Queensland Cup this year and on the outer at the Cowboys.

North Queensland remain in the midst of a roster overhaul with 2015 premiership winners Lachlan Coote and Kane Linnett released by the club at the end of 2018 and Johnathan Thurston and Antonio Winterstein retiring.

Coote last month signed with Super League club St Helens while Linnett is also understood to have attracted the attention of numerous English clubs.

Former Dally M Medallist Ben Barba headlines the list of arrivals in North Queensland where he will be joined by Nene Macdonald, Kurt Baptiste and Tom Opacic.

North Queensland also confirmed former State of Origin winger Justin O’Neill will remain at the Cowboys after exercising an option to stay with the club.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/transfer-centre-cowboys-lock-in-more-stars-for-2019-rebuild/news-story/0549e9d60fd7018082b18ad954d15ea1

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Four rookies moving up to NRL
Cowboys.com.au
Tue 16 Oct 2018, 05:05 PM
Four North Queensland Toyota Cowboys under 20s stars have been rewarded with NRL contacts for the 2019 season.

Middle forwards Tom Gilbert and Logan Bayliss-Brow, hooker Reuben Cotter and centre Kurt Wiltshire will graduate to the NRL squad next season.

Bayliss-Brow had a sensational season for Cowboys feeder club the Townsville Blackhawks in the Hastings Deering Colts under 20s competition.

A member of the victorious Queensland under 20s State of Origin squad, Bayliss-Brow appeared in 21 games for the Blackhawks in 2018, averaging 114 running metres, three tackle breaks and 16 tackles a game.

Gilbert emerged as one of the brightest prospects in the game after a brilliant season. After starring for the Queensland under 18s, Gilbert moved up to the under 20s with the Blackhawks and was almost unstoppable before going down with a leg injury late in the season.

The Brisbane product ran for at least 150 metres in seven of his 10 Hastings Deering Colts matches, including a monstrous 218 metre, five tackle-break performance against the Sunshine Coast in Round 17.

Cotter has missed the entirety of the last two seasons after suffering a serious knee injury early in 2017, but has impressed Cowboys staff with his work ethic during his rehab and is expected to be fully fit for the start of pre-season in November.

Wiltshire enjoyed a remarkable season in 2018. Still eligible for the under 20s, Wiltshire spent the majority of the season in the Queensland Cup for Mackay and was one of the shining lights for a battling Cutters side.

A hard-running centre, Wiltshire scored eight tries in 13 Queensland Cup games.

His Round 13 performance against Wynnum Manly produced a ridiculous stat line including a try, try assist, three line-breaks, five tackle-breaks and 233 running metres.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2018/10/16/four-rookies-moving-up-to-nrl/

Very happy with these re-signings, Wiltshire and Gilbert especially. Also great to see Reuben Cotter still around. Bayliss is a big lad who was 18th man for Qld U20s this year and the only non-ISC player in the squad. Looking forward to see how he goes up a grade in 2019.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2018/10/17/updated-2019-cowboys-roster/

Updated team list. 34/36 spots filled for the upcoming season.

2019 squad:

Carlin Anderson
John Asiata
Kurt Baptiste
Ben Barba
Logan Bayliss-Brow
Scott Bolton
Javid Bowen
Jake Clifford
Gavin Cooper
Reuben Cotter
Mitchell Dunn
Kyle Feldt
Tom Gilbert
Jake Granville
Ben Hampton
Coen Hess
Corey Jensen
Ethan Lowe
Nene Macdonald
Te Maire Martin
Jordan McLean
Francis Molo
Michael Morgan
Gideon Gela-Mosby
Justin O'Neill
Tom Opacic
Emry Pere
Dan Russell
Matthew Scott
Murray Taulagi
Jason Taumalolo
Enari Tuala
Kurt Wiltshire
Shane Wright

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2018/10/17/updated-2019-cowboys-roster/

Updated team list. 34/36 spots filled for the upcoming season.

2019 squad:

Carlin Anderson
John Asiata
Kurt Baptiste
Ben Barba
Logan Bayliss-Brow
Scott Bolton
Javid Bowen
Jake Clifford
Gavin Cooper
Reuben Cotter
Mitchell Dunn
Kyle Feldt
Tom Gilbert
Jake Granville
Ben Hampton
Coen Hess
Corey Jensen
Ethan Lowe
Nene Macdonald
Te Maire Martin
Jordan McLean
Francis Molo
Michael Morgan
Gideon Gela-Mosby
Justin O'Neill
Tom Opacic
Emry Pere
Dan Russell
Matthew Scott
Murray Taulagi
Jason Taumalolo
Enari Tuala
Kurt Wiltshire
Shane Wright
Great. But I won't be happy until I see the letter 'C' next to Kyle's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.