Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match 2017 Round 10 Cowboys (A) v Bulldogs - Teams & Discussion

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Round 10
Saturday 13 May
12:30pm (local time)
Belmore Sports Ground

NQ Cowboys

1. Kalyn Ponga, 2. Michael Carroll, 3. Murray Taulagi, 4. Kurt Wiltshire, 5. Nathan Traill, 6. Mitch Dunn (c), 7. Jake Clifford, 8. Kaleb Fuimaono, 9. Calum Gahan, 10. Emry Pere, 11. Cody Maughan, 12. Hiale Roycroft, 13. Corey Horsburgh. Interchange: 14. Kyle Paterson, 15. Logan Bayliss-Brown, 16. Jayden Stephens, 17. Connor Luhan, 18. Oscar Carter, 19. Sam Murphy, 20. Ryan Lloyd, 21. Jack Glossop, 22. Marshall Hudson, 23. Sean Mullany. Coach: Aaron Payne.

Canterbury Bulldogs
1. Michael Doolan, 2. Kiko Manu, 3. Dalton Smith, 4. Morgan Harper, 5. Cameron Scott, 6. Kieran Hayman, 7. Brandon Wakeham, 8. Peni Misinale, 9. Joseph Tramontana, 10. Hayden Ashcroft, 11. Jayden Okunbor, 12. Jack Gibbons, 13. James Clark. Interchange: 14. Corey Matthews, 15. Kayne Kalache, 16. Giordan Patea, 17. Tui Katoa, 19. Fili Havea, 20. Pule Sua, 21. Brandon Boumelham, 22. Kenny Soumpholphakdy, 23. Ben Cassell, 24. Amosa Manu. Coach: Brad Henderson.

Match Officials
Referee; Damien Briscoe

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Bulldogs didn't name an 18 jersey again?? I joked about it in the NRL thread, but have Bulldogs legit run out of no.18 jerseys?

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm i thought K has been having leg issues most of the season...maybe a week or more off could aid those issues...if he is back up to Coote, then he shouldnt be playing these nothing games regularily

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Good to see Jake Clifford's injury wasn't serious, only ended up missing the Titans game last weekend. Side looks strong again after a last round's weakened one. Even if KP doesn't end up playing this team should get the win. Cody Maughan moves back into the second row, so Murray Taulagi moves into the centres with ET out with a broken jaw and Bacho Salam still injured. Pere and Fuimaono are back from Junior Kiwis duty, Connor Luhan moves to the bench and Jack Glossop drops to the reserves. Kyle Paterson and Logan Bayliss keep their spots in the 17. Bayliss is a big lad for a 17-year old - 193cm, 102kg.

Canterbury are one of the weaker sides in the comp, they're 13th with three wins. Two of them against the two worst sides in the comp - Souths and the Warriors. Their centre Morgan Harper is hard to stop, averaging 147m per game, which is around the top 10 in the comp. Jayden Okunbor is probably their most dangerous. Hes a bit of Jamal Idris-lookalike, not hard to miss on the field. Trained with the NRL squad in the pre-season, strong runner with a good offload. Started off as an outside back but has moved into the forwards the last two years.

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Boys lost 22-16. Back to back losses now with a very tough game away against Cronulla next week.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
That's actually 3 losses in a row (I have tried to repress the memory of the Parra loss, but it is still there).
Jake Clifford is a big out. Having KP back should of helped, just depends where KP's head is at. In the games of NYC that I have seen him play in, he has been underwhelming.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Lol, how could I forget that Parra game.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Some stat lines from yesterday:
Kurt Wiltshire (1 try, 21 runs, 209m, 1 line break, 15 tackles, 5 missed, 7 tackle breaks)
Corey Horsburgh (56 mins, 17 runs, 164m, 30 tackles, 2 missed, 7 tackle breaks)
Kalyn Ponga (13 runs, 135m, 1 try assist, 10 tackle breaks)
Jayden Stephens (38 mins, 12 runs, 121m, 15 tackles, 1 tackle break)
Murray Taulagi (12 runs, 119m, 12 tackles, 4 tackle breaks)
Hiale Roycroft (8 runs, 81m, 30 tackles, 1 missed, 1 tackle break)
Connor Luhan (1 try, 40 mins, 7 runs, 70m, 1 line break, 1 offload, 21 tackles, 0 missed, 2 tackle breaks)

Going off the stats it looks like Oscar Carter got injured early. He only played 11 minutes while Kyle Paterson, who was named on the bench, played 69.

Blow by Blow

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
That's actually 3 losses in a row (I have tried to repress the memory of the Parra loss, but it is still there).
Jake Clifford is a big out. Having KP back should of helped, just depends where KP's head is at. In the games of NYC that I have seen him play in, he has been underwhelming.
We seem to have fallen in a heap in the 20's - you mention Jake Clifford injury and obviously there have been discipline issues as well as Bacho Salem getting himself in trouble with performance enhancing drugs but what else is causing this slide. I really thought we would be a chance this year in the 20's but pur 20's tend to be bigger chokers than our first grade tea as year after year they seem to be mentally weak when push comes to shove.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
That is U/20s for you.
The discipline issues are a real problem - has really affect the team, they were cruising then discipline issues slip in and the wheels fall off, perhaps some of the young blokes were getting complacent and a little ahead of themselves.
Against Parra, they started well and weathered an early storm, then lost Clifford and then lost direction.
They have been down on troops for the other two losses.
Much stronger team with Clifford in. Keep the faith, they'll be ok.