Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2017 Holden Cup squad

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I emailed the club last night asking if a squad list was available and they replied saying they'd send it through to someone. Checked my email today and I've only got a reply from the great Glenn Hall (who is now the club's Elite Pathway Coordinator), so thanks to Glenn and the club for the squad list.

Here's the email HERE and HERE.

Returning players
Brett Anderson (squad member, didn't debut in 2016)
Jacob Bourke (Not in the email list but still on the Cowboys website and eligible for NYC)
Michael Carroll
Jake Clifford (squad member, didn't debut in 2016)
Reuben Cotter
Duarne Dempsey
Mitch Dunn
Kaleb Fuimanono
Callum Gahan
Jack Glossop (squad member, didn't debut in 2016)
Corey Horsburgh
Marshall Hudson (squad member, didn't debut in 2016)
Jack Lote
Cody Maughan
Emry Pere
Hiale Roycroft
Bacho Salam
Nathan Traill
Enari Tuala
Kurt Wiltshire

New players
Jack Althaus (Prop - started for Blackhawks in MM Cup GF/National Final, won Schoolboy Cup with Kirwan in 2015)
Jye Anderson (Second row - Sarina junior, recovering from a knee reconstruction. Article HERE)
Nathan Barrett (Second row - started for Blackhawks in MM Cup GF/National Final. Qld U16 in 2015. Started for Kiwan in Schoolboy Cup win in 2015).
Logan Bayliss-Brow (Forward - Kingaroy junior, Central Crows MM Cup. Article HERE)
Oscar Carter (Five-Eighth - started for Blackhawks in MM Cup GF/National Final, goalkicker)
Wiremu Greig (Prop [I think?] - from New Zealand, played for Portland Panthers and Whangarei Boys High)
Peter Hola (Cant find too much info about him - from New Zealand, Auckland Vulans U17)
Tom Kenny (Wing/Centre - played for Blackhawks MM Cup last year, Qld U16 in 2015)
Connor Luhan (Prop - Sunshine Coast junior. 194cm, 105kg. Article HERE)
Tazmon McRobbie (Prop - Tully junior. Northern Pride MM Cup in 2016, Qld U16 in 2015)
Sean Mullany (Half - from New Zealand, Akarana Falcons U17. Named in U17 Youth Tournament merit team)
Sam Murphy (Lock - Rockhampton junior. Represented Qld Schoolboys in 2016. Article HERE)
Kyle Paterson (Hooker - Norths Devils/Wavell High. Represented Qld Schoolboys in 2016. Started at hooker for Norths in MM Cup GF loss to Townsville)
Enemarki Shibasaki (Hooker - been in Townsville system for a few years. His older brother Gehamat is at Brisbane)
Jayden Stephens (Prop - Curtis Rona's little brother. Played in B'Hawks MM Cup/National Final sides and Kirwan Schoolboy Cup winning side. Article HERE.)
Murray Taulagi (Fullback - Brisbane State High. Union highlights HERE and HERE. Older bro Jamie-Jerry played for the Reds)
Solomon Vasuvulagi (Prop - from New Zealand. Played in the NZRL U18 Taurahere game last season for Qld-based Kiwis)

Losses/Too old for NYC
Cooper Bambling (Mackay Cutters)
Ross Bella (Townsville Blackhawks)
Nick Brown (Mackay Cutters)
Ty Carucci (Townsville Blackhawks)
Rhein Frank
Gideon Gela-Mosby (Cowboys NRL squad)
Cody Grills
Coen Hess (Cowboys NRL squad)
Marcus Jensen (Cowboys NRL squad)
Trey Kemp
Jordan Kenworthy (Townsville Blackhawks)
Nick Lui-Toso (Penrith Panthers)
Jesse Pomare-Anderson
Kalyn Ponga (Cowboys NRL squad)
Darryn Schonig (Northern Pride)
Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm)
Tahanui Tutavake (Townsville Blackhawks)

My bad if any player info is wrong. Add any info/videos if you've got any on the new squad members.

fanfromsingapore

F
Great. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

I think it even mentions the 'big unit' from New Zealand that Nahla was talking about.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to him - he is a real talent.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Luckily I get to see all the U/20s home games.
As I have had dealings with most of these players at junior level, its a real bonus.
Good luck to Payney and his new assistant BJ for the 2017 season.

fanfromsingapore

F
Luckily I get to see all the U/20s home games.
As I have had dealings with most of these players at junior level, its a real bonus.
Good luck to Payney and his new assistant BJ for the 2017 season.
How is this Emry Pere developing?

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Mate, know little of Pere. He's not from NQ (Gold Coast, from memory).
Must be OK is he's in QAS squad. He'll no doubt be one of the big boys starting for U/20s this season.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who's playing in trial against pride on Saturday
Cowboys: Mick Carroll, Tom Kenny, Kurt Wiltshire, Murray Tualagi, Marshall Hudson, Oscar Carter, Sean Mullaney, Faron Morris, Kyle Paterson, Jack Lote, Brett Anderson, Peter Hola, Jack Glossop, Enemarki Shibasaki, Tom McCagh, Tazman McRobbie, Jack Althaus, Jayden Stephens, Logan Bayliss-Brown, Wyremai Greig. Coach: Aaron Payne.

From here - http://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2017/02/02/trial_test_ahead_for.af_news.html

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Wow !!!
That is a very young side.

barakula

Junior
Reaction score
Boys went well 18 - 12 win, 4 tries to 2 Lote, Anderson, Wiltshire & the 2 dummy half's were good, not the prides top team but cows fought back after going down a try early, carter's kicking game was good

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Didn't know where else to put this but Cowboys-contracted Kiwis Caius Faatili (St Thomas of Canterbury College, Hornby Panthers) and Griffin Neame (Greymouth High School, Suburbs) have been selected in the NZRL U16 National High Performance Camp. Former Cowboy David Faiumu is involved with the four day camp, which started today. On the final day the squad will split into two teams and play a trial to select the 16s side.

Last edited:

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Mate, I think you've posted again in the right spot.
I love your updates.
As mentioned earlier, I am fortunate to see all the NYC games and love watching these young boys come through and move onto Q-Cup and NRL.
Great to hear that David 'can throw a dummy' Faiumu is involved as well.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cheers Rudi. Would love to be able to catch some games. The boys will be playing down this way at Cudgen next week, so I'll get to check them out.

The U16 NZRL trial is being streamed here (https://www.youtube.com/c/NZKiwis1/live) if anyone's interested.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Enari Tuala named for the Junior Roos, Emry Pere and Kaleb Fuimaono named for the Junior Kiwis. Congrats to the boys.

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Congrats to our NYC boys Logan Bayliss and Sean Mullany who were selected in the Queensland Schoolboys side to compete at the National Championships/Aus Schoolboys trials at St Marys in July. Tom Gilbert and Garrett Smith are two other Cowboys contracted players in the squad.

Didn't know where else to put this but Cowboys-contracted Kiwis Caius Faatili (St Thomas of Canterbury College, Hornby Panthers) and Griffin Neame (Greymouth High School, Suburbs) have been selected in the NZRL U16 National High Performance Camp. Former Cowboy David Faiumu is involved with the four day camp, which started today. On the final day the squad will split into two teams and play a trial to select the 16s side.
A late update on this: Caius and Griffin were both selected in the U16 Merit team. Caius was also given the Integrity Award.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Our NYC boys getting their Qld jerseys: