Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2016 Recruitment and Retention thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
2017 Gains
Ben Hampton (Melbourne Storm)
Corey Jensen (Townsville Blackhawks)

2017 Losses
Jahrome Hughes (Melbourne Storm)
Rory Kostjasyn (Newcastle Knights)
Tautau Moga (Brisbane Broncos)
Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm)
James Tamou (Penrith Panthers)

Re-Signed
Javid Bowen (2018)
Josh Chudleigh (2018)
Lachlan Coote (2018)
Jake Granville (2018)
Sam Hoare (2018)
Marcus Jensen (2018)
Patrick Kaufusi (2017)
Kane Linnett (2018)
Ethan Lowe (2018)
Justin O'Neill (2018)
Antonio Winterstein (2018)

Off Contract in 2016
Ben Hannant

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/north-queensland-cowboys/

Last edited:

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
James Roberts negotiations with Gold Coast put on hold, Cowboys ready to swoop
November 23, 2015 9:00pm
Peter Badel The Courier-Mail

THE Cowboys are ready to swoop on James Roberts as the speed demon confronts a personal tragedy that has stalled contract renegotiations with the Titans.

The Courier-Mail can reveal premiers North Queensland have expressed interest in throwing Roberts a lifeline if the NSW Origin hopeful cannot strike a new deal with the Gold Coast.

The Titans were scheduled to hold talks with Roberts on Monday to find common ground following the contract forgery farce that has placed his future at the club in jeopardy.

But the Coast’s focus has switched to Roberts’ mental wellbeing after the star centre was rocked by the shock death of one of his closest friends.

The tryscoring machine was offered counselling yesterday after returning from a Titans military camp in the Gold Coast hinterland to be greeted by the tragic news.

Roberts was uncontactable over the weekend during the camp at Canungra. He stepped off the team bus on Monday to be met by a Titans staffer, who informed Roberts his good mate had died unexpectedly at the age of 25.

The Titans wanted a resolution to the contract saga yesterday but have put talks on hold with his adviser, Jeremy Donovan, at the request of a grieving Roberts.

“James has had a personal issue he’s had to deal with, it’s nothing to do with his football,” Titans boss Graham Annesley said.

“We agreed we would put talks on hold and hopefully we can have dialogue soon.

“At the moment, James’ welfare is our main concern. But there is a lot of goodwill to get this (contract) issue sorted and we’ll see what happens.”

Donovan has contacted lawyers and the Rugby League Players Association to explore whether Roberts’ $300,000-a-year contract, brokered in June, is officially null-and-void.

Roberts has indicated he wants to remain at the Titans, but Queensland rivals the Cowboys are one club prepared to pounce on the 22-year-old flyer.

Cowboys football operations chief Peter Parr said the club is keen to talk to Roberts if negotiations with the Titans collapse. The premiers have four threequarters — Kane Linnett, Matt Wright, Tautau Moga and Justin O’Neill — off-contract at the end of 2016.

Roberts has become a free agent following a contract bungle.

“If for some reason the Titans can’t sort through it, then we will have a look at him,” Parr said.

“Most people would want to see James stay at the Titans, but if he becomes available, I will talk to Greeny (Cowboys coach Paul Green) and look at our options.

“There’s no doubt James Roberts would look great in our backline. He’s exciting to watch, he’s a really talented player.”

Donovan said Roberts has been left shattered by the tragedy, compounding an emotional week for the NRL’s Centre of the Year.

“He’s physically and emotionally exhausted,” he said.

“I called Graham Annesley and said it’s not the best thing to speak yet because James is coming to terms with the death of one of his closest mates.

“I have contacted the RLPA to seek advice on whether his contract is null-and-void. We don’t want this to get messy ... hopefully we can get some answers soon.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/james-roberts-negotiations-with-gold-coast-put-on-hold-cowboys-ready-to-swoop/story-fnp0lyn6-1227620006389

Billybob

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
On the wing with Gideon Moseby - we can just kick down field on the second tackle all game

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
i know his specialty is speed, but hows his defense? dont often watch the titans
id say if we do sign him he'd come in for baniell or fedlt unfortunately

NQ Boy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Surely we can't fit him under the cap. I'm happy with the guys we have but he could be another X-Factor in our side.

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Surely we can't fit him under the cap. I'm happy with the guys we have but he could be another X-Factor in our side.
Well by looking at our losses

2016 Losses
Glenn Hall (Townsville Blackhawks)
Viliame Kikau (Penrith Panthers)
Cameron King (Parramatta Eels)
Robert Lui (Salford Red Devils)
Hezron Murgha (Townsville Blackhawks)
Zac Santo (released)
Scott Schulte (Parramatta Eels)
Kelepi Tanginoa (Parramatta Eels)

Surely that would of freed up some cash to offer Roberts?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

NQ Boy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well by looking at our losses

2016 Losses
Glenn Hall (Townsville Blackhawks)
Viliame Kikau (Penrith Panthers)
Cameron King (Parramatta Eels)
Robert Lui (Salford Red Devils)
Hezron Murgha (Townsville Blackhawks)
Zac Santo (released)
Scott Schulte (Parramatta Eels)
Kelepi Tanginoa (Parramatta Eels)

Surely that would of freed up some cash to offer Roberts?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yeah probably right. i'd probably think he'd replace o'neill if anyone. Linnett needs to be one of our centres. He was one of our most consistent players this year. maybe winterstein? also a very consistent player though... Good luck coach green

I'd still prefer we go after a half though unless laybutt is ready to step in?

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
yeah probably right. i'd probably think he'd replace o'neill if anyone. Linnett needs to be one of our centres. He was one of our most consistent players this year. maybe winterstein? also a very consistent player though... Good luck coach green

I'd still prefer we go after a half though unless laybutt is ready to step in?
same, dont think Laybutt will play first grade this year unless lots of injuries occur. I was surprised when we signed him from what little i saw of the u20s bambling was the better one of the two. but laybutt seemed to be able to find the line quite a lot for a half

NQ Boy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
laybutt had a decent kicking game from what i saw of him

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I hope we get Roberts, he could become the best centre in the game.

fanfromsingapore

F
I wouldn't be in a hurry to sign this fellow.

I watched a youtube clip and he obviously has some amazing skills. I also did some research on his time at Penrith.

If I was club management I would give this guy our phone number and ask him to give us a call when he gets things sorted out. Then have a chat to him without committing to anything. O'Neill showed some massive improvement over the 2015 year and he should be developed. As Manly showed several times in the early eighties, assembling a team of great individual players does not make a grand final winning team.

I also wouldn't be trying to sign a currently contracted player for the current season unless it was with the current club's consent (yes, I have read the articles). e.g. the way we picked up O'Neill. I don't know if it was a Glasby/O'Neill swap arrangement.

Might do more harm than good.

Last edited by a moderator:

RHINO

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
roberts can break the line and rack up the highlights off his own back which is something our backline lacks. Kane makes a linebreak when he gets a good ball from JT or morgs and runs a great line, he can't go from being flat footed to beating 4 defenders and speeding past the fullback to score which roberts can do.

Adds an x factor to the attack but who to shift aside to account for him is a tough choice.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Oneil is the fall guy-not much between him n Kane in attack, but Kane flogs him in D.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Brings Roberts in and O'neill goes to the wing. We really don't want that imo. And we lose Feldt or Winters as well. No from me. Happy with what we got tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.