Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

2012 Cronulla vs Cowboys grand final.

the-guthalungra-kid

Sent Off
Reaction score
Last night I was laying down with a milo and savoring our victory and a thought came upon me. Wouldn’t Cronulla v Cowboys be a great grand-final. It would mean that:

* one team which has never won the premiership would win for the first time.
* a Sydney team would feature, which I think is important.
* one of two teams that have made really big recent improvements would win.

It would also be a boost for the Cronulla region which seem to have a budget, no-frills team.

It would be a Cinderella story, but it would have two Cinderellas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Got nothin much against the Sharkies, but was is it important that a Sydney team features in a GF?

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not on the Cronulla bandwagon.

Whilst I do like their brand of footy and have respect for Shane Flanagan, the club itself I'm not particularly fond of. They've been surviving on handouts for years and bring little to the game as a whole. Added to this the taint of Ricky Stuart, Bird, Gallen etc. will linger long for me. I despise the lot of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blow by Blow

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I have thought about this matchup. It would be just our luck to come up against another Cindarella story. Same deal as last final vs. Tigers. I could see us beating the big teams but losing to the other underdog.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Cronulla riots 2? win or loss it'll happen lol

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It'd be a great Cinderella story but one of them will still go home with a pumpkin.

Granty

Administrator
Reaction score
Got nothin much against the Sharkies, but was is it important that a Sydney team features in a GF?
Stops Sydneysiders sooking like a bunch of girls?
The potential reaction of some of the more vocal members of the Sydney Rugby League media is a reason why I want to see a Cowboys v Broncos grand final :thumbsup:

lone_cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
In the year in which qld hand nsw the largest humiliation within state of origin, the ultimate backhand would be and all qld grand final

Wolfbrother

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I like Cronulla. Maybe it's just the fact that they're perennial underachievers.

I have a lot of respect for Shane Flanagan. He inherited a truly awful team on paper and couldn't attract any real big names. So he's taken a bunch of journeymen and nuffies and turned them into a very good football side.

Sure, the Sharks may not contribute a whole lot to the game or even be financially viable in future - but you shouldn't let that take any kudos away from the players and Flanagan.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah i like atching the sharks as well. I like how Carney is leading them and having a good year. He copped it a fair bit for his love of a drink and some hijinks but he is doing well now.
And it is good to watch John williams stuffing up most of the time.

the-guthalungra-kid

Sent Off
Reaction score
I like to see a grand final with a Sydney team. I went to a few local games when I was living in Sydney and I love their parochialism. I like this on grand final day. Cronulla vs Sharks at Kogorah was a grand day.

I'd also like to see some of the Sydney teams get back to their local grounds. Canterbury to Belmore perhaps. It's a shame Redfern oval has such a small seating capacity.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Have a mate who has put money on Sharks v Cowboys GF a few weeks back.
Yeah Cowboys at the start of the season i remember, Cowboys in the GF vs Sharks was over 100-1. And most other teams vs Cowboys were great odds, (and still might be)
Its a good value bet.
A slide in both teams form(or other teams u like) during origin, should see the odds blow out a bit. It would be temporary bad form and probs worth speculating said teams will go back to good form after origin. Id wait to see if that happens.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It will either be cows and sharks or warriors in the gf.
At the start of the season I put $5 on cows/sharks @ $500 and cows/warriors @ 101

RHINO

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
An all qld GF would be great. I'm sure if a qld side made it into each prelim against a sydney team each would be at the ass end of the penalty count though. In terms of GFless sides it would be good to face the Warriors in the GF. A sharks GF would justify their existence for another 40 years of leeching off the NRL and Ben Pomeroy would be up there with Shane Perry and Andrew Lomu for most rubbish GF winners

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
An all qld GF would be great. I'm sure if a qld side made it into each prelim against a sydney team each would be at the ass end of the penalty count though. In terms of GFless sides it would be good to face the Warriors in the GF. A sharks GF would justify their existence for another 40 years of leeching off the NRL and Ben Pomeroy would be up there with Shane Perry and Andrew Lomu for most rubbish GF winners
Imo, Ben Pomeroy has been one of the most improved players this season. He has impressed me.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Cronulla will have another gear come finals time.